Metal.. Ebay.. Nazi.. Banning.. Decibel

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Actually a decent article by Decibel magazine. I check out their articles partly to see what ridiculous things they are saying. And generally I think they are horrid writers, so I read them for entertainment. But this article isn't half bad. Dave might be interested in it as well for his NSBM article he's doing.

Decibel Magazine

someone should firebomb Ebay's headquarters. that'll teach those to faggots to watch who they're messing with.

It sucks but what's the message? "The big corporation doesn't care about us or fair business practices"? Wow, NEWS FLASH, huh?

This policy, which appears on eBay's website under the heading "Items That Promote Hatred, Violence, Racial or Religious Intolerance," says, "…eBay will judiciously disallow listings or items that promote or glorify hatred, violence, racial or religious intolerance, or items that promote organizations (such as the KKK, Nazis, neo-Nazis and Aryan Nation) with such views…Under this policy, eBay may in its discretion, remove items when the item or description graphically portrays violence or victims of violence, and lacks substantial social, artistic or political value."

Religious intolerance? 50% of heavy metal bands can get pulled off right there, can't they? Violence? Shit, there goes another 25%. The article is a bit disingenuous in acting puzzled why Ebay would pull stuff that doesn't have large swastikas all over it.

What, Ebay is supposed to be an accurate judge of social, artistic, or political value?

The interesting thing is, if Ebay can do this, so can other large internet companies. I suppose there's going to be some fun when Myspace decides it needs to take measures to "protect the children" using its site.

How many people will be in trouble if Paypal (owned by Ebay these days, right?) decides to monitor what's being bought using its service? I can't afford to directly accept credit cards (LotFP costs more than enough as it is so passing more cost on to the buyer is out of the question), and I doubt many people are going to be sending cash through the mail in this day and age...

While the events described in the artlcle may be true, the editorial slant of the article is silly... Yeah, victims of the uncaring, ignorant mainstream corporation. So what's the answer? Complaining to Ebay and raising hell, fighting to be able to use (and give profits to) the very people shitting on you, or adjusting business practices so you don't need to use the bastards?

someone should firebomb Ebay's headquarters. that'll teach those to faggots to watch who they're messing with.

...it would be all too easy to post your pic here, and watch everyone laugh as you squirm with embarassment, JOFA.

WAY too easy.

Just like it's way too easy to sound TUFF online.

...it would be all too easy to post your pic here, and watch everyone laugh as you squirm with embarassment, JOFA.
While I do not condone or advocate firebombing eBay (really low on the list, actually), I want to point out that all you need is a good arm to firebomb something.

Candlelight certainly milked this for all it was worth.

By putting the label at the front and center of every report generated about it.

It was an opportunity for some press as well as an attempt to address a problem (depending on how you view the entire matter).

Not making a judgment, just an observation.