Metal/Hard Rock Books!

mattt

Yes.
Feb 4, 2002
Anyone recommend any metal/hard rock encyclopedias/biographies/autobiographies? I finally got Motley Crue's The Dirt and it fuckin rules! Well worth the money...

I just finished reading David Lee Roth's "Crazy From The Heat" - pretty good! I'm also planning on buying Gene Simmons' "Kiss and Make-up" next time I go to Big W (it's $10 cheaper there than other places).

Then there's Maiden's official biography which is surprisingly good, and doesn't hold back in criticism of Steve from guys like Dennis.

Can't remember off the top of my head :) I don't actually own the book, either, so I can't run off and check. I'm sure someone else here has read it and is willing to tell ya, though.

Yes, 'Run To The Hills - The Official Biography' is a very good read indeed IMO. :)

If it is a hard rock/heavy metal encyclopedia you are after, have a look for 'The Virgin Encyclopedia of Heavy Rock' by Colin Larkin. I got it as a present, and it is awesome! A very good referance book. :headbang: :)

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Yes, 'Run To The Hills - The Official Biography' is a very good read indeed IMO. :)

I've got it and is it indeed a very good read, it was released a while ago, during the blaze era.. but then was revised and released late last year(not sure of the date, I think), and i've got the revised version. Very good read for any Maiden fan.

I haven't seen the re-released "Run to the Hills". I've got the original though. I also picked up "Infinite Dreams" from a certain ex-pat runner of forums who shall remain nameless. I really should read it some time....

Infinite Dreams is "the unauthorised biography" of Iron Maiden. Some time in the early 90's, before Blaze, I believe. I'm not sure, coz I haven't read it yet. Unless someone answers before I get a chance, I'll double check tonight.

You might like to try "Paranoid: Black Days With Sabbath and Other Horror Stories" by Mick Wall. Haven't read it myself, but I love the title :).

Or there's "Van Halen: Excess All Areas" by Malcolm Dome. More photos than text in this book unfortunately, but still some good anecdotes and interview excerpts.

One of my favourites is "Queen: As It Began" by Jacky Gunn and Jim Jenkins. Very well written bio, packed with information and an international discography.

I'm quite fond of "A Day In The Life: The Music and Artistry of The Beatles" by Mark Hertsgaard, but that doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

Oh and there's "Hammer of the Gods" too (about Led Zeppelin), if I could only remember who wrote it...

W

"Infinite Dreams" is quite good, actually. I remember when Mark was going to start a Maiden site and I thought, "Infinite Dreams might be a cool name for it," and then the next day I saw the book. Sigh.

Now that I think about it, it was a pretty naff name for a site anyway :)

Dunno really, Southy - give QBD, Dymocks and Bookworld a go, they're probably your best bet. Skinny's might have some books too, can't recall though.

Infinite Dreams is really just based on archived interviews, and the authors offering opinions on various things, whereas RTTH is, of course, based on first-hand interviews and research.

I really like the Crowded House one (can't remember the title!)... and The Dirt does indeed rule :)