Metal/Hardcore mix I'm working on... (real instruments played by real people!)

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Thoughts and opinions very much appreciated! I'm happy with how it's coming along in general, but a set of new ears is always good!

Updated mix:
http://www.adamwathan.com/misc/mix5_song2.mp3

Guitars are Squier Tele with Duncan Designed P90s > Sparkle Drive > 5150 > Mesa OS 4x12 > SM57
Bass I don't even remember, through some junk ITB
Drums are replaced, LSD kick and snare (Lasse FTW), Sturgis toms

Brendan from Counterparts did guest vocals on this track too... I didn't even know it was happening until he showed up. Pretty wild, they are one of my absolute favourite bands and I ended up tracking him out of the blue haha...

The vocals sound good to me. I think there's too much mids in general on the guitar tone, sounds a bit honky.

Listening on shitty headphones, but this mix sounds really good. The guitars have this open, "organic" sound about them that I really like. Vocals could maybe be a tiny bit louder?

I start with the good things:

You are on the right way. Everything sounds great

I would change:
The kick is too clicky. Maybe blend in some bassy samples (ala slate) and some room.
Guitars are to loud
Bass is to quiet
....in other words BRING UP THE DRUMS

smash the drums in parallel.
More lows in the cymbals (if possible)

it realy has the right vibe, but I think with a little more boom and room in the drums, this would be on the next level

cheers

Cheers thanks guys, did a tiny bit of tweaking, here's an update:

http://www.adamwathan.com/misc/mix6_song2.mp3

Not much different but I think it is a bit of an improvement. Killed the harmonic excited in Ozone that was pushing some of the cymbal highs through the roof, brought the high pass on the overheads all the way down to like 100hz, lowered the guitars a tad, suppressed some high end on the kick and added a bit more low end.

much better, Everything sounds perfect and I realy like the balance of the instruments.
Vocals sound awsome

but the kick is terrible :(

Better compress the highs then supress....

I would love to hear a kick like this in the video:

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
much better, Everything sounds perfect and I realy like the balance of the instruments.
Vocals sound awsome

but the kick is terrible :(

Better compress the highs then supress....

I would love to hear a kick like this in the video:

cheers

Haha, I LOVE that CBK album man, one of my favorite bands... Maybe there is a Slate kick that has that sort of vibe going... I instinctively have this "metal kick sound" embedded in my brain, I can probably find something better... Thanks for the suggestions!

try lasses natural metalkick part with the slate deluxe dw and alot of the dw's oh. then some standard slate like kick 10 or 15.

standard eq and then glue them together with some character eq.
with a long attack time and a short releas, ratio 4:1 or higher.

maybe send that processed kick to the drums parallel bus and slam it with something 1176 style....

this is what I do when I try to get a meaty, but defined kick

hope this helps