need some ears on a VERY ruff mix I'm working on

LSD-Studio

HCAF crusher
Jul 2, 2006
Germany
www.lsd-tonstudio.de
I don't wanna go too much into detail, but this band is giving me a very tough time...
the drummer was awesome (11 songs in not even 2 days)....
then came the rest ;)

after 3 weeks of recording hell my ears are totally fucked up and I soon wanna start mixing....
I could use some help and hints before I start.

Here's a really rough mix I just did (solos, melodies, clean guitars and vocals are still missing...so this is just drum, bass and rh-guits.

would be cool to get some opinions from outside ears:

roughmix-dr+b+g

guits are 2 tracks of Jackson Dave Mustaine V (duncan pups...SH-5 I think) into 5150 and recto (combined)--->engl-cab--->sm57+906-->API Pre RME A/D

btw, the drums are the premier kit I intend to post samples of

listened 4 times and would not have a single idea what to criticize (given the momentary status).

Guitars are a bit thin for my tastes but do fit the mix pretty well. Maybe less compression/sampling on the snare/more verb on it, and raising the volume of the toms?

It really does sound very good already though, nice job!

Guitars are a bit thin for my tastes but do fit the mix pretty well. Maybe less compression/sampling on the snare/more verb on it, and raising the volume of the toms?

It really does sound very good already though, nice job!

My exact thoughts.

This sounds like it's going to end up awesome as fuck.

If I had to put my finger at something I'd say the cymbals and the hi hat are on the thin side. Or does he purely play splashes? The hat needs some more body at least IMO. There's something about the snare too. Can't quite point it out, but try what was suggested earlier. Might be the ticket.

Everything sounds nice and clear.

Only things I think is the guitars seem too up front and makes the drums feel small.

If I were using my setup I imagine myself putting my MCDSP Analog Channel 2 Big Bottom plug-in setting on an Aux/Parallel Compression bus which throws in some weight for the Kick and Snare.

I would just request the drums brought forward more and over all thickness/weight added to the whole song.

Man, I LOVE that snare sound.
To me it sounds good, but if I had to pick something out, I'd make the guitars a little bit brighter, they seem a little dark...But, that's more of a taste thing and not a mix problem, per se.

cool, thanks for the tips!

yeah, I went for darker guitars this time...kinda liking it though.

I thought about parallel compressing the drums, but then again...I compared it with Dickinson etc and didn't wanna make them sound "too big"...intended to have a very airy mix with lots of space.
it's still a roughmix though, I might change one or the other little thing (or actually I already did ;) )