Metal Maniacs & Metal Edge, R.I.P?!

Jason, Welcome to 2004!

I am SO behind the times when it comes to technology.

We do NOT have DVR.
(I am actually taping Gray's Anatomy for my wife on my VCR as we speak!)

I JUST got an IPOD this holiday season (though I have had smaller, non-Apple MP3s before).

I went wireless in my home only less than 2 years ago!

So yeah, ummm...podcast? No clue, until now, so thanks!

Yeah you need some podcasts...and DVR is the greatest thing ever once you get it. I don't know how I lived before. Haha.

But this sucks

I subscribe to Metal Maniacs and I love the interviews, articles, and free posters. I just discovered Absu the other day because of the cover story.

I found it weird that I got the Kreator issue today (a week after I received the Absu issue) but now I know why.

I hope I don't have to cancel and go back to Decibel :rolleyes:

Dude compared to me you're high tech! But then again I'm still unwrapping my copy of Born in the USA...

:lol:

Well, you are in Peoria now, so you are definitely "movin' on up"!

Back on topic, I thumbed through an issue of REVOLVER at the grocery store this week. They actually have a news section broken up by genres of metal. I was surprised that it did dig pretty underground, esp for black metal. Still, the focus is primarily on nu metal and metalcore.

I suppose a zine with Killswitch Engage on the cover will sell more than one with WINO on the cover (Though WINO = SEXY!)

My newest videogame console is Playstation. That's it. No number behind it. They weren't needed back then. But at least I have a dvr. Got that 3 months ago. I also have a microwave.

I used to buy Metal Maniacs all the time but it got to the point that the only bands they seemed to cover were power metal bands so I quit buying it. Too bad they are going away though. I discovered maudlin of the Well and Novembers Doom from that mag.

I used to buy Metal Maniacs all the time but it got to the point that the only bands they seemed to cover were power metal bands so I quit buying it.quote]

thread-fail-stamp.gif

:lol:

That's odd actually.
I always thought Metal Maniacs catered more towards thrash, black, and death (and all subgenres of the aforementioned) than power.

The one thing I have to slam MM for though, is that their listed discographies are EXTREMELY incomplete. The reason for the slam is that a 2 second check to Metal Archives could help confirm a discography.

I've been reading Metal Maniacs for a few years now....I've been in the mail section 3 times, and I've had a year end Top 10 printed (massive accomplishment for me...I still have the signed letter I got in the mail from Liz...along with the signed John Perez(!) letter I got from a few years ago.

Metal Maniacs is practically the only thing I read anymore...I was never a fan of the 'zine...and I gave up on Metal Edge when they started catering more towards the wannabe "metal", pop-punk Warped Tour crap and not anything resembling metal....to see this mag go is gonna be heartbreaking

Sometimes it says "Select Discography"

Yeah, I know.
Though I guess as a fan I would expect a more comprehensive list.
As I said before, the information is more than readily available.

I am probably being hard on em, being an obsessive collector of bands I am into.

What surprises me is that these magazines don't change to an online format. Their problem is not that they're not viable, but that traditional print journalism is not viable anymore. Anyone in journalism will tell you that it's been brutal the last couple of years even *before* the economy tanked. This is a question of the kind of business model (I hate that term to death, but it applies here) you're using.

With advertising down I'm sure it's tough to keep an online version of Metal Maniacs and Metal Edge (to be honest Metal Edge was always a piece of shit, and I was surprised to hear it's still going). But that's the way these magazines have to go if they want to survive... if newspapers are having to do it, you'd think magazines would get smart and do it, too.

I'll be sad to see Metal Maniacs shut down, for sure. It was one of my favorite magazines, even if the Aural Assaults reviews were sometimes uneven (and they adopted the very irritating and subjective criticism of "song distinction" on albums in their reviews). This is really random, but I remember one of their late 1990s reviews of Virus 7's debut album (produced by Mercyful Fate's Hank Sherman)... it was the funniest and most brutal review ever. I can't remember too much about it 10 years later, but it was the first time I saw a reviewer put the word "riff" in quotation marks as a form of criticism.