Metal Mondays In Kansas City

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
I started doing Metal Mondays at Revolver Rock Bar off 80th and Metcalf in Overland Park, Kansas at the beginning of April. Attendance has been good only about 1/4 of the time, so I am trying to improve that.

Revolver has a music video system so I play 90 minutes,which starts at 930, of music videos featuring Glam, Hard Rock, Metal that you can find on the radio. Then at about 11 I play a mix cd of the stuff that I have been listening to. Of course I do take requests for the following week in person at the club or advance requests via email or pm.

I have been sending out Myspace bulletins giving a little insight to what I will be playing so each week in this thread I will make a post to give people an idea of what I will be playing.

Monday July 9 2007

In honor of me attending TEXAS MADFEST. this coming weekend I will be playing select songs from the bands that I have a recording of as well as some other stuff. As of right now I only have recordings from DARK EMPIRE, MEYVN, and OUTWORLD. If the other bands would like their music played shoot me an email with a MP3 attached.

DARK EMPIRE - features Matt Moliti (Yngvai X) on guitar and Jens Carlsson (SAVAGE CIRCUS, PERSUADER) on vocals. A great mix of Power, Thrash, and Prog.

MEVYN - a fairly new band that will be a force to be reckoned with for sure. They are playing PROGPOWER EUROPE this year and have just released a great album "Splintered Skies"

OUTWORLD
- features Rusty Cooley on guitar and new vocalist Carlos Zema (VOUGAN). Played the PROGPOWER PRE-PARTY 2005 and totally blew me away.

Some other bands that I playing are:

NUCLEAR BLAST ALL STARS - an album like the ROADRUNNER UNITED, but with Peavy Wagner (RAGE) doing the music. The question is which vocalist have I chosen?

TURISAS - they define themselves as Battle Metal, which basically is comprised of a little bit of Folk with Death Metal vocals. I think they sound quite similar to any of the Viking Metal acts such as AMON AMARTH or THYRFING.

VAINGLORY - a female fronted Heavy Metal/Power Metal band with an unbelievably strong voice. They just played Swordlord's FLIGHT OF THE VALKYRIES FESTIVAL in Minneapolis.

So let me know what you guys think about what I have selected and if u happen to live in the area please let me if you need directions to the club.

Here is the set list from last night:

1. Outworld – The Never
2. Nuclear Blast All Stars – A Perfect Day (ft. Andi Deris)
3. Mindflow – Upload - Spirit
4. Vainglory – Burndead
5. Meyvn – Answer Me
6. Turisas – Cursed By Iron
7. Six Minute Century – Under The Moonlight
8. Aghora – Moksha
9. Prymary – Oceans of Insolence
10. Division By Zero – Arachion
11. Krucible – Reborn
12. At Vance - Shiver
13. Dark Empire – Distant Tides
14. Falconer – Northwind

I will work on next weeks set tomorrow.

I reeeaaaally need to spend some time on e.g. myspace to check these bands out (or their newer material for bands that I do know like Prymary and Mindflow - don't care for At Vance and Falconer). Also curious to see what else (who else) is on that Nuclear Blast thingie :)

Not helping is the fact that the harddisk of our desktop pc recently deceased and I'm currently only online on a laptop (lousy sound) or at work (myspace blocked)...

Well, a little less than a week of promoting for last weeks show and while there werent but a few new folks, the threads I started got a total of about 300-400 hits which isnt too bad I dont think.

This week will go back to normal as far as the mix is concerned:

930-1045 Videos of Hair Metal, Radio Rock/Metal, Metal, Classic Rock and Hard Rock

1045-1200 A mix of the best in Power, Thrash, Progressive, Folk, Avant Garde, Black, Melodic, Melodic Death, and some Death (not Brutal/Gore)

$2 pints of domestic beer as a special

Here is a little taste of what will be going on this week:

July 16 2007

BLACK MAJESTY - Australian Melodic Power Metal. I dont think they really sound like any other Power Metal band and have an excellent vocalist

BEHEMOTH - Their new album "The Apostasy" is going to be one of the heaviest albums to come next year so make sure you check out this the track to be played as well as the album. If you havent heard of them they are a great blend of Black and Death from Poland.

RIVERSIDE - Melodic Experimental Prog Metal. They create really epic soundscapes without being cheesy kind of reminds of later day ANATHEMA

AMORPHIS - They are getting ready to release their new album and second with their latest and in my opinion best singer Tomi Joutsen. AMORPHIS blends Death, Folk, and Doom all together into one hell of a sound. Their latest releases having been getting away from the Death and Doom and focusing more on the Folk.

Not new stuff, but good stuff:

POISONBLACK - features the ex singer from SENTENCED and they have I suppose you could call it gothic or dark sound. I think they sound basically like SENTENCED with a more mainstream side.

STAR ONE - one of the various projects done by AYREON's mastermind Arjen Lucassen.

KALMAH - I would say that they are comparable to CHILDREN OF BODOM, but with more Prog influences which doesnt mean more or better keyboards as well as rougher vocals.

Here is the track listing for the mix cd from last night:

1. Black Majesty – Tomorrowland
2. Poisonblack - Exciter
3. Visions Divine – 25th hour
4. Racer X – Miss Mistreated
5. Behemoth – Inner Sanctum
6. Mekong Delta – Imagination
7. Lions Share – Edge of a Razor
8. Shaaman – Distant Thunder
9. 3 Inches of Blood – Night Marauders
10. Star One – Highmoon
11. Amorphis – A Servant
12. Blind Guardian – Mordred’s Song
13. Riverside – 02 Panic Room
14. The Project Hate – At The Entrance To Hell’s Unholy Fire
15. Kalmah – Black Rojia
16. Samael – Year Zero

Decent turn out last night as well around 20 people again.

Here is a little preview of this weeks mix:

July 23 2007

New Stuff........

ANUBIS GATE – Danish Progressive Power, has a slightly darker overtone kind of like NEVERMORE only more melodic I wanna say, but dont think that it is right

CAGE – Power Metal from San Diego, JUDAS PRIEST sped up to about 200 beats per minute

ENTOMBED – Death Metal, one of the inventors of the Swedish Death Metal

Not so new stuff.......

DIECAST – Metalcore, probably the finest Metalcore around

THURSAZ – Belgian Melodic Black, think old EMPEROR with some melodic parts. Most recently they Chicago Powerfest along with NOVEMBER'S DOOM and ATHEIST.

BLACK ABYSS – German Power Metal, HELLOWEEN worship done right