metal one hit wonders

Malaclypse

Oct 18, 2001
skimming through my music collection, i noticed that there hardly are any typical one hit "wonders" in the metal genre. the only one that would spring to my mind spontaneously is carcass - heartwork, and i can't seem to think of any others. pros? cons? opinions?

wait wait... why heartwork? carcass were good on both the record before and the one after heartwork imho. :err: but ok, i can admit it stands out.

i think the same is true for w.a.sp.'s the crimson idol, for instance.

erm, i meant the song, not the whole album. just the one song that became known to loads of people while the rest remains dusty in a corner.

Malaclypse said:
erm, i meant the song, not the whole album. just the one song that became known to loads of people while the rest remains dusty in a corner.
oooh. k. i didn't even know that was the best known song from carcass, btw... o_O

so basically with "one hit wonder" you mean hugely popular songs by bands whose other stuff is quite underground, but not necessarily bad, right?
because i took it to mean somebody's exceptional result in the midst of a sea of crap.

yes, that's what i meant, and i thought it was a common term. you have ohw in pop business all the time, but scarcely in metal...

in that case i must say that out of the blue i can only think of helloween's i want out -- widely popular, very overrated, and the only real stab at stardom helloween have had.

And its the only stab they're going to get :p, the world would be a better place if Helloween didnt exist.

I'd say Helmet - Aftertaste, this is the only song I have ever heard by them on the radio, or mentioned by anybody.

Nick

Europe - The Final Countdown, obviously - but that's just if we'll be nice enough to include hard rock. If not, feel free to ignore that I ever mentioned that song.

And I can't really see the need for the Helloween-bashing since their early stuff (pre-kiske) was pretty aggressive and worked as an influence on the scene back then, even for the more extreme bands out there. Don't let the "keeper"-albums fool you into believing that all they ever did was to start a happy-happy wave in metal.

i even like kiske-era helloween, to be honest. certainly not the later stuff, though.
but with every new post tonight i see the last vestiges of my hetero-security wane, so i better stop and go out for some much needed beers. ;) i'll be back later.

helmet? i think their prime song was wilma's rainbow...
and helloween is teh puke. nearly all german metal bands are...

i just realised i bought "heartwork" six months ago and never listened to it. how very strange. :guh:

the only 'one hit wonder' that came into my mind is "angel of death". though slayer is possibly a too well known band to say so. o_O

btw, early helloween were very good. i mean, you can't really dislike "how many tears". can you? :p

Entre dos Tierras - Heroes del Silencio

I hope that it's written right... You can hear this song nearly everywhere, but - to be honest - I don't know any other Song of them.

Not really correct, but what about Alice Cooper? Everybody knows "School's out" and "Poison", but many kiddies don't know who did these great songs...

Or what about "We're not gonna take it" by Twisted Sister (I'm right now listening to "Stay Hungry" - the album this song is included in). It was covered many times (to all Germans: e.g. by "The Donots"). A grat song, but not their best...

Maybe Edguy will become another one hit wonder with "King of Fools"...

Opeth - Windowpane

Admittedly I base this only on the fact the video appeared on MTV in the United States.

ubiquitos said:
ok this doesnt really qualify, but dissections "storm of the lights bane" the reason im saying this is because i dont know anyone whos heard another song by them.

SOTLB is not a song, but uhm, this is interesting. Care to expound your views?