question about nu-metal

jimbobhickville

Tyrant in Distress
I'm seeking feedback about the possibility of allowing nu-metal bands to be added to the site. I personally have mixed feelings about it, but someone recently offered to add a bunch of bands in the genre to the site so it got me thinking. Let me explain both sides before you tell me your opinion.

First of all, I personally don't care much for the style, but I don't care much for black metal, either. Personal opinions aside, here are the pros and cons.

Cons:
1. Some people might see it as an attempt to "sell out" or as damaging to the credibility of the site because nu-metal, in many people's eyes, isn't metal at all.

2. It adds to the daunting task of keeping up-to-date on all metal genres.

Pros:
1. Nu-metal fans who find the site may then read about other bands that they otherwise wouldn't have known. This is something we all should want.

2. Despite what many say, nu-metal is metal, albeit a commercialized version of it. So, in order to catalog ALL metal, we should probably include it.

I personally can see both sides, so I thought I'd get some feedback from the everyone and allow that to sway my decision. If your argument consists of "nu-metal sucks" then please don't bother stating it. Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

I say go for it. Nu-metal is the hair metal of 2000, but it still is metal. Most of it sucks, but that's just a matter of taste. Nu-metal is rather varied genre, so varied in fact that I don't really consider it being an actual genre, it has so much elements from other genre's that I really don't know anymore what makes band nu-metal except being popular. IMO Linkin Park is 80's metal riffs with rap, Slipknot is mix of thrash/death/hiphop/other, System of a Down is just freaking good no genre needed, most other bands just rip-off Pantera and add rap to it.

TrueBeliever said:
There are already some other bands on there that are worse than nu-metal, so I don't think it should be excluded.

well that's a matter of personal taste, obviously the site isn't about adding just the bands you prefer.
what i'm saying is that i think that we ought to add the base of metal-music, so to speak, first, then move on the nu-metal and perhaps rock etc.

yeah well if this guy wants to do it perhaps we should let him, because i don't feel like listening through X numbers of nu-metal cds myself :)

btw those sites i mentioned some time ago which had a lot of bands litsted and could be used to find info about bands to add, will you make little list of them or should i and then post it in the admin-forum? it was some time ago a band was added so perhaps the contributors need a little suggestions and sources.

go ahead and post the list, I'll add to it when I get the chance. Things have been slow, but we still get several new bands each week. I have a list of about 30 I need to add....only need the time to do it. I'm gonna try to work through at least 1/2 of them this week.

I think I'm gonna let this guy do the nu-metal stuff.

I guess I'll be the first one to be against it. I don't think that mallcore (nu-metal) is metal but then again neither is the stuff what passed as hair metal, glam metal, glam rock or whatever else that kind of commercialized rock was called in the 80's.

But then again, a host of non-metal bands have already been added to the site so...

Ugh...I hadn't considered the hair metal thing. Didn't you already add AC/DC Goreripper? That's about as unmetal as I can think of. What if we let him add stuff, so long as it wasn't rap-metal (like he could add Korn, but not Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park)? Some of the bands he wants to add are in that kind of in between nu-metal and real metal area, so it's hard to know where to draw the line. This is the list he sent me as a sample of bands he could add:

Static X
Stone Sour
Mudvayne
Slipknot (if you can classify them metal)
Spineshank
Soulfly
Korn (again, it depends your view on that one)
Cattle Decapitation
Hatebreed
Rammstein
Lost In Twilight
Goethes Erben
Godhead

Audioblack
Beyond the Embrace
Tapping the Vein
Skinlab
Soil
Meanstreak
Green Jelly
Gravity Kills
Grave Flowers
Grand Belial's Key
Great Horn
Great Kat, the
Grief of Emerald
Gruesome Stuff Relish
Great Sorrow

Some of those I haven't heard of, but what does everyone else think? Do they not belong in a metal library?

jimbobhickville said:
Ugh...I hadn't considered the hair metal thing.
I was kidding. :)

jimbobhickville said:
Didn't you already add AC/DC Goreripper? That's about as unmetal as I can think of.

Perhaps, but again it depends on your point of view. I added them because I figured they are just about as heavy an influence on the metal scene as any band that has ever existed. I doubt there's few bands on the site who don't have several AC/DC records in their collection. I'm also responsible for BOC, Led Zep and Tool, and none of them are really metal either. :)

jimbobhickville said:
What if we let him add stuff, so long as it wasn't rap-metal (like he could add Korn, but not Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park)? Some of the bands he wants to add are in that kind of in between nu-metal and real metal area, so it's hard to know where to draw the line. This is the list he sent me as a sample of bands he could add:

Out of the list, here are the ones I would allow through:

Soulfly - because of the Sepultura connection
Korn - because they were the first
Hatebreed - because they're more of a hardcore band
Skinlab

Some of the others aren't nu-metal, so they should be added for sure:

Great Kat, the - unquestionably metal
Grave Flowers - these guys are actually a doom band from Italy
Beyond the Embrace - Goth metal
Tapping the Vein - Goth metal

Haven't heard these bands, but I don't think they're nu-metal either:

Grand Belial's Key
Great Horn
Grief of Emerald
Gruesome Stuff Relish
Great Sorrow

2. Despite what many say, nu-metal is metal, albeit a commercialized version of it. So, in order to catalog ALL metal, we should probably include it.

I always thought that this site was about promoting the "underground" as it were of power/death/black/thrash/prog metal. The only reason I can see for adding nu-metal bands to this site would be to attract more people to the site which would then lead them to check out the other kinds of metal that are here.

However, I only think this would be achieved by adding a relatively well-known nu-metal band to the forums, which would then defeat the entire object of promoting the 'underground'

In short, I don't think nu-metal should be put on here.

I hope that made sense! lol