We're Nu-Metal?

slagmusic

Dissident Aggressor
Dec 12, 2001
slagmusic.cjb.net
I just read the interview with Noel - great job by the way, you all should read it - and in the band descriptions it described us as (GROOVE / NU-METAL).

I always thought nu-metal was bands like Limp Bizkit/Korn/Creed/Drowning Pool, etc.

I fucking hate the term nu-metal. :lol: We don't represent nu-metal in my opinion.

I think you get the nu-metal tag a bit because of the vocal style....similar to System of a Down in a way!?! Perhaps I'm way off? :) What would you say the band's, and your singers, influences are?

I'd say there's a little System element in the vocals, but you've got to think of what are "normal" vocals are. Our singer listens to everything from Snot to System to Russian pop music to newfie music. He does very little singing compared to screaming though, in my opinion.

I'd see the comparison as well as we're not playing traditional heavy stuff. No need to add another band to that genre. I don't write traditional metal stuff. I love it, but I don't write that way. Plus there are lots of bands that do it very well locally that we'd have no right to do it. :)

Which is why we wanted to write stuff that was different than what's here. Build upon different material that comes across as something fresh. At least in our minds. Even if some stuff isn't that heavy at all, it's still creative to us when we write it.

What it boils down to is that we try to make unique music, at least on a local level (probably a 100 bands like us somewhere else). But with that comes the inevitability of being labeled as nu-metal. Fact of life I guess. I just hate the term because it lumps us in with bands that I think have very little creativity. Stagnant flavor of the month garbage that's being pumped on Much, MTV and the radio.