blah

May 1, 2002
Visit site
http://www.metal-sludge.com/Review2003NeilTurbin.htm

sludge_nav.gif
NEIL TURBIN "Threatcon Delta"
by Dana Brittingham

Cover: 7 Cab Drivers out of 10
It's a picture of Neil Turbin. Duh! He looks quite metal in his crossed-arms pose, plus he's got a cool belt buckle with a skull on it.
Booklet: 10 Belt Buckles out of 10
It's a 10-panel fold out style booklet. There are tons of lyrics and liner notes. Featured in the background of all but one panel is a photo of Neil himself. In some of the poses, he's wearing the same outfit as on the cover; in others, he's got on this white frilly pirate shirt. Yaaarrrrrr! But no matter what he's wearing, he's still got that same belt buckle with the skull on it. Neil is a sexy, sexy man. So why does this booklet score 10/10? In the 'special thanks' section of the booklet, Neil gives props to "Bastard Boy Floyd, Jani Bon Neil and all Sludgeaholics at the #1 metal site: Metal-Sludge.com!" That was truly cool of hm to include that. Although he forgot to thank Dana Brittingham, but perhaps he'll remember that in his sophomore solo CD, due for release around the year 2020.

Songs: 8 Towel Turbans out of 10
We've actually had this CD sitting around for a few months, but nobody seemed to get around to listening to it. What can I say -- we're lazy fucks. Then the other day I gave this disc a good listen, and I'm glad I did. It really exceeded my expectations. Well, I didn't really have any expectations, but that's beside the point. Anyhow, the album starts of with a few old school thrash metal numbers, not at all unlike early Anthrax, but then Neil spreads his vocal wings and infuses some bluesy crooning into his speed metal compositions. By the fifth song, he starts drifting towards an old-school metal sound, kind of like early Riot or Icon or something. The song "Wrecking Ball" could have even been a KISS song from back in their Hotter than Hell days. Perhaps the song I like the best is the most old-school sounding of all, a track called "Rat Race." For some reason, Neil's voice sounds a little like Joe Lynn Turner's on this song. Makes me want to hear him cover an old Rainbow song like "Stone Cold." Speaking of which, Threatcon Delta has a few cover songs -- Jimi Hedrix's "Dolly Dagger" and the AC/DC classic "Touch Too Much," demonstrating Neil's breadth of vocal stylings for all to hear. The players on this disc are all very skilled; in addition to Neil's band, this disc also features a ton of Neil's friends as guest musicians, including people like Lonnie Vencent, Jeff Scott Soto, Tommy Gunn, Sean McNabb and just about all former members of the band Rough Cutt. Production isn't the best I've ever heard, but it's not terrible either. Besides, the songs themselves make up for all that, due to the varied styles keeping my interest perked the entire time I'm listening to this album.

Comments: Former pre-Joey Belladonna era Anthrax singer and 20 Questions alumnus Neil Turbin is a full blown Sludgeaholic, so we'll give credit where credit is due. Having mentioned that, it took Neil about 17 years to finally release his first solo disc. Was it worth the wait? Well, you might not have noticed, but because of Threatcon Delta, the balance of the cosmos has shifted and the world is now a far better place than it was. The very fact that this disc now exists has ensured maintenance of the moon's natural orbit, repelled asteroids from imminent impact with our planet, kept the polar ice caps from melting, compelled Jani Lane to quit Warrant, thwarted several terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, and caused the entire Iraqi arsenal of biological and chemical weapons to vanish from the face of the earth, thereby making the world a safer place for all mankind. Now that's one powerful fucking CD. You can even ward off vampires with it! Better than any magical amulet or talisman, I implore you to keep a copy on your person at all times. You'll live a long life and will be glad you did.

[font=Verdana, Tahoma][size=-2]

HOME PAGE | FAQ | SLUDGENDISE | CONTACT US | SEARCH
Copyright © 1998 - 2004, Metal Sludge. All Rights Reserved. Advertise with us

[/size][/font]