http://www.livingformetal.com/reviews/review.aspx?reviewid=119
Review : Neil Turbin - [Threatcon Delta]

Threatcon Delta
Metal Mayhem

SteveSaks
4/20/2006

8.5 out of 10

View all reviews for this artist

Neil Turbin the original voice of Thrash and Power Metal returns. 20 years after the release of Fistful Of Metal by Anthrax , a record that changed Metal music as we know it. Neil Turbin comes thrashing back with his solo debut Threatcon Delta. I’m quite sure many of you have heard his legendary screams on Deathrider or the Thrash Metal anthem Metal Thrashing Mad by Anthrax as well...If you haven’t, you were either in a coma...or not born yet. These are essential songs that changed a generation of HeadBangers...Yes I said it...HeadBangers! When Metal was Loud, Fast and Fun too. Anthrax ruled the New York Metal scene in the early 80's...No one could touch them. What separated them from other Thrash bands was that Neil Turbin could sing and scream like no other. His voice was so strong...He was New York City Metal...Tough and Loud.

I was lucky enough to see Anthrax open for Metallica and Raven at the Roseland Ballroom in NYC...needless to say Anthrax stole the show, and Neil Turbin with his Metal glove in hand Killed on vocals. A night I have yet to forget and never will forget.

Fast forward to 2003 almost 20 years later I am proud to say Neil Turbin is back. His solo debut Threatcon Delta features many special guests on guitars and backing vocals, too many to list but some include: Jeff Scott Soto, Paul Shortino, Mitch Perry, Vernon Anderson and Ronnie Borchert to name a few. Don’t let all the names throw you off, This is a focused Metal album through and through. I must admit I didn’t know what to expect but I was very curious and anxious to pop this in my CD player...HeadBangers unite! Neil Turbin sounds stronger and better than ever before..."Hear the Screams!!!!!!!!Ahhh!!!!

..:: Track By Track ::..

The sounds of Air Raid sirens begin with the short intro Wake Up Call, Then the first song proper Cut To The Chase kicks in, or should I say Thrashes in. This is fast speed metal with menacing guitar riffing. I wasn't expecting a song this Heavy and Fast...I was instantly hooked on this one. This one has some clever opening lyrics: "What do you want, Speak your mind, Spreading like a disease, Get to the point, Wasting time, Are you talking to me?"very clever and tongue in cheek.

The Metal Thrashing Mayhem continues on What You Can’t Control. Another fast one with excellent double bass drumming and thick guitars. The chorus is very catchy and Neil Turbin’s voice and harmonies really shine on this one.

Sick Of It All slows things down a bit, and let’s you catch your breath for a moment. An almost bluesy Metal number yet very, very dark.

Keep The Fire is one Neil Turbin’s more personal songs. A song about never giving up, never giving in. This mid tempo Metal charge song features an excellent guitar solo by Vernon Anderson.

The Truth Is The Best Lie has to be one of the best song titles ever. The song is equally as good as the song title. Very catchy guitar riffs and excellent vocals. This one sounds a little like Howling Furries from the Anthrax Fistful Of Metal album. "The Truth is the best lie, Gotta read between the lies" You know instantly when someone says to you"The Truth"...that the words that follow are sure to be lies...Growing up in NYC it is obvious Neil Turbin has learned to read in between the lies too. Excellent lyrics on this one, you’ll find yourself singing along with the chorus...very catchy Metal.

The thick chugging of guitars start off Blue Screen Of Death. Yet again another speed Metal Thrasher. Soaring vocals and high screams. A song that could have easily been on Fistful Of Metal. Neil really shines on this one, especially at the end of the song...Great song.

Dolly Dagger a Jimi Hendrix cover song thrown in as a bonus song. This song really groves and shows Neil’s roots and influences too.

Next up we have Rat Race. A steady tempo Metal song with the clever lyrics: "We’re all prisoners, Living in this Rat Race" I like how this one builds and picks up the pace at the end.

Vigilante Justice a song about revenge and the infamous Bernard Goetz if I’m correct. The moral here: Don’t ask anyone for change on the NYC subways...If you live in New York City you can relate to this one quite well.

An excellent cover version of AC/DC’s Touch Too Much is next. I’m a huge fan of AC/DC and this is an excellent version ...Bon Scott Rules!!! Thanks Neil for this bonus track.

Wrecking Ball is an older song from Neil that is re-visited here as another bonus song, very 80's Metal sounding, and catchy too.

The mayhem continues with the rabid Dog Eat Everything . No one can pen song titles like Neil Turbin. A fast Power Metal song with a catchy chorus. Another song that could easily fit on Fistful Of Metal ...perhaps even take a ‘Bite’ out of a few of em’ too.

The last song on Threatcon Delta is the excellent Piece Of Me. Excellent powerful vocals from Neil on this one, I like how his voice echo’s on "What’s on your mind, Right In your face...Right in your face" an excellent closing song.

Although it’s been almost 20 years since Neil Turbin sang on Fistful Of Metal in many ways it seems like yesterday. Threatcon Delta is power Metal with excellent vocals, high screams and catchy hooks all over it. Well written containing memorable songs and clever lyrics too.

2006 will see Neil Turbin and his Deathriders come thrashing back with A Fate Worse Than Death. I can hardly wait for this next Metal chapter to begin. \m/

Stay tuned for yet another LivingForMetal exclusive...An Interview with Neil Turbin , The original voice of Thrash Metal...As he prepares to unleash A Fate Worse Than Death.
Track Listing
1 - Wake Up Call 0:24
2 - Cut To The Chase 2:51
3 - What You Can't Control 3:28
4 - Sick Of It All 3:04
5 - Keep The Fire 3:52
6 - The Truth Is The Best Lie 3:49
7 - Blue Screen Of Death 3:03
8 - Dolly Dagger 3:40
9 - Rat Race 3:33
10 - Vigilante Justice 2:50
11 - Touch Too Much 4:32
12 - Wrecking Ball 3:35
13 - Dog Eat Everything 2:42
14 - Piece Of Me 3:15
User Ratings

Avg. User Rating : 8.50
# of Ratings : 1

Review Comments [ You must be logged in to add your comment ] Login
Haven't listened to this... I'm going to now :)

Side note : I just noticed that the font on this album cover is the same font that the "LivingForMetal.com" logo uses... Interesting, indeed...