Metal Video Game Music

Bruticus

Jul 25, 2014
Cheese
Doom the 90's shoot em up video game was notorious for its overtly metal-oriented soundtrack, but quite a few games had metal-like tracks as both the metal and video-games industries were blooming (and perhaps peaking) during the same time.

It occurs to me I'll revisit something like an old video-game or movie or sth from my childhood and earlier years and discover just how obscure or dark it was, as it didn't hit me originally being so young.
I used to play this game which I distinctly remember was indeed dark but of course at the time I didn't realize the theme song was full on...industrial metal lol - and it's DAMN good:

You guys got any tracks you want to show off and share here ? Such superb music back in the day in video games..

Video games and metal? You have to look at Machinae Supremacy wouldn't you?

Streets Of SimCity had a great soundtrack with a variety of genres. Unfortunately it was probably the best thing about the game. Also, they should've done more songs with vocals because Czar is a great rock song.

Destruction Derby 2 on PS had instrumental versions of songs from the UK bands Jug and Tuscan, not that I played to them since I had it on PC.

alright well those are actual metal though. I suppose I should've mentioned old school MIDI 8bit type stuff, like, 'video game music' as a genre.

Here's the first death metal track I ever, ever listened to :D

For vintage 80s and early 90s stuff, doesn't get more metal than Battle Mania Daiginjou. I pity those that cannot handle the lovely ugliness of the Genesis soundfont.

For a straight-up Blackmore/Malmsteen/King Diamond worship in an early 90s gaming, Lords of Thunder. The PC Engine and Sega CD versions were performed and recorded differently

For vintage 80s and early 90s stuff, doesn't get more metal than Battle Mania Daiginjou. I pity those that cannot handle the lovely ugliness of the Genesis soundfont.

For a straight-up Blackmore/Malmsteen/King Diamond worship in an early 90s gaming, Lords of Thunder. The PC Engine and Sega CD versions were performed and recorded differently

Ooh, I like the second one there. Japs and their damn, good video game music...