Metal Writing Rut??!!

Leper_/-\ffinity

Child of The Grave
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
Ok, well, I have been playing a lot of lead lately, and when I recently tried to write some metal riffs, I was completely blank. I used to play all out rhythm, and I could pretty much improvise a damn Metallica album on the spot(not sayin much, but meh), but now that my metal tastes have changed a bit to death/melodic death, I cant write any rhythms that appeal to my ears. It seems as if I can't make stuff sound good without adding stupid palm mutes, which I dont want to have. Also, I just can't think of some good chords to start with sometimes. How do you guys come up with your evil/melodic/any types of metal riffs, besides using stupid power chords, and octave chords, and riding those damn palm mutes??? Any interesting reads, lessons, or songs that might help me develop some great riffing techniques for unorthodox metal rhythm guitar???? Im just sick of hearing the same sound out of my guitar, and it is depressing as hell when you sit there for an hour, and can't even come up with one riff. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Learn how to harmonize, use different types of chords(like #5, minor 3rds, major 3rds, b5, your regular minor chords), put in little lead fills and bits to make it sound interesting(ala Death).

For Opeth sounding chord progressions, try using regular minor chords and strumming them with distortion as opposed to palm muting chugga chugga chugga.

Melody lines, everyone has a sense of melody and you learn to build it over the years, it basically applies to what sounds good to you, try playing around with single notes with scalar patterns or just what pleases your ears. Move your fingers all over the fretboard and try not to play too fast for melodies.

Alexi Laiho has an awesome sense of melody, he barely shreds unless during a solo otherwise he'll be dishing out catchy melody lines. Another good band that has excellent melody lines is Inflames, they harmonize really well as well.

Try learning styles and emulating them and turning it into your own :) Hope this helps.

What he said!

also...learn other styles of music! Stop playing metal for a bit-learn some old school classic rock, blues, jazz, etc.

you can see how melody/song structures work in other styles- you can then take the things you like from them, and add them in to your style. You can put your own spin on them and adapt them as you wish.