Metalcore / Parkway Drive type

Folkrav

Jean-Sébastien Beaulieu
Dec 4, 2009
Montreal, QC
ctastudios.co.cc
It's my first full album I get paid for, so I'd like to have some feedback. The guys had limited budget so everything is ITB, but I'm kind of happy of what got out of this. Thanks for the input! The band is The Eleventh Hour, based Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I had a lot of fun with those guys, and they're happy of it, I'd just like to have some input on what I could have done better.

I already posted one of my rough-mixes of the one named Surfacing a while back, but this version has a lot more work on it.

Surfacing
Bleed For This

-JS

Sounds pretty good dude , but I think the vocals are too loud in the mix. The surfacing song sounds like one of the songs off Parkway's "Horizons" in the beginning chug part

This is the song I was thinking of , sounds a lot like it

When I listened to Surfacing I was waiting for Winston's "YEAHHHHH" lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The drums are MF for toms / cymbals, snare is 75/25 Slate and MF, and kick is 50/50. For surfacing I think they sit pretty nice, but they asked for the vocals to be louder in Bleed for This, so I raised them by 1.5dB. Are they so much too loud? As I told the band, there are some minor adjustments that has to be done yet (some effects they didn't told me they wanted, nothing that would have to change the mix but yet), so maybe I'll try to bring down the vocals a bit in the two songs, but let Bleed for this remain higher.
Guitars are LeCto / LeGion into LeCab with lolzgreg free impulse, into some minor tape saturation through multiband compression for the uncontrolled low-mids conflicting with the bass.

And yeah, when I heard Surfacing, I thought about Idols and Anchors too haha!