Metallica - Death Magnetic and O2 London Show

EvileOL

Ol Drake
May 18, 2005
UK
www.twitter.com
Just thought i'd post my thoughts on Death Magnetic and last night's London O2 Arena show.

Death Magnetic:
When I originally heard the tracks on youtube/metallica.com, I pretty much didn't like them. Cyanide was kind of cool. But I thought I'd go out on a whim and buy the album under my usual previso that you enjoy an album much more with it's entire packaging, heard in it's entirety in the order it's supposed to be heard etc. I'm glad I did.

I was expecting not to like it at all, but sitting down, looking through the booklet whilst listening etc, I really enjoyed it. I set aside everyone else's opinion about the tracks, as I've learnt sometimes you can associate someone else's opinion with your own (you hear someone say something sucks so you naturally expect it sucks), and I just listened openly. It's great.

The stand out tracks for me are Cyanide and The Judas Snog. The rest are enjoyable (not a huge fan of Suicide and Redemption) but on the whole, i'll be listening to it often. 7.5 / 10 from me.

London 02:
Got to the 02 Arena and noticed the merch stand, saw a guy in an Evile shirt and had the urge to shout "SHIT SHIRT" but didn't. But Karma was at play for me thinking that as someone shouted "Enter the Crevis" at me hahaha.

I'll be honest and say this was my first time seeing Metallica. I've purposely held off seeing them at Festivals, as I just didn't want my first to be outdoors. I see Metallica as an indoor/arena band.

They came out to the usual Ecstacy of Gold, and That was Your Life started. I wasn't keen on this track at all, but as soon as they started playing it, it was fucking brilliant. Death Magnetic's production and feel does NOT do the songs justice like them playing them live does. This wasn't due to it being my first Tallica show, but I just forgot about the production I slightly cringe at, and it kicked ass.

They played classics like Thing, One, Blackened, Puppets, Stone Cold Crazy, and new ones. I filled my pants near the end, as in the final song, about 50 big black beach balls with the logo on were dropped from the top of the arena, one flew past my face, and you're never expecting a big black ball to attack your face at a gig, so i shit myself (not literally).

All in all one of the best shows i've been to, and the guitar tone i've been not liking with them, sounds HUGE live. It crunched my balls off....

11/10

(Extra point for James heading beach balls into the crowd)

Yeah glad you had a great experience Ol. I havn't seen them but then the only band I've seen live is Ministry (I come from a remote island, so much money to get off etc, etc...).

But I am of the same opinion of the album. You do have to listen to it with an open mind. The instrumental is good but it doesn't compare to the almost symphonic epics of old (Ktulu, Orion, To Live). And overall the album is good and as you say will get played a lot.

Metallica are on Later With Jools Holland tonight.

ha ha Metallica lives :kickass: Hope they keep making albums with effort like DM. I just hope it doesn't take another 5 years for the next album.

I got my tickets for Nov 9th, i can't fucking wait man, plus I get to see Down open.

Reads like it was a good gig, Im not gonna go see em this time around, Ive seen em twice, and I really dont need to see em again. Did they play blackened? if so, did Kirk play the whole solo or did they cut that beautiful masterpiece in becuase he cant play it anymore?

They cut it on the BBC radio show so I guess they cut it there too.

Reads like it was a good gig, Im not gonna go see em this time around, Ive seen em twice, and I really dont need to see em again. Did they play blackened? if so, did Kirk play the whole solo or did they cut that beautiful masterpiece in becuase he cant play it anymore?

They actually did cut the solo in two. I was shocked. I looked at the person next to me, and we both had the face saying "........what happened then?"

They actually did cut the solo in two. I was shocked. I looked at the person next to me, and we both had the face saying "........what happened then?"

Yeah..... :cry: Its my favourite solo, and they cut it, I used to be part of the fanclub and I got a meet and greet pass, and actually met them....and I remember I asked kirk if he was gonna play the whole solo and he just looked another way. :lol:

Its a shame they dont play it in full.