Metallica - Death Magnetic most progressive album?

MikeEnRegalia

New Metal Member
Dec 6, 2005
Hi there,

EDIT: My first thread in this forum for a long time, and I managed to choose a very misleading title ... I actually meant to say something like "Death Magnetic - Metallica's most progressive album?". :oops:

I've listened to Death Magnetic yesterday and I liked it a lot ... I think it's a return to form, and it's also quite progressive. Now I know this is not a progressive metal forum, but maybe some of you might find this interesting:

distribution.png

The chart shows how users rated the progressiveness of the Metallica studio albums at Progfreak.com ... you're welcome to participate (currently there are only few votes), or discuss the topic here.

So ... what do you say ... to prog or not to prog, that's the question!:)

No, it's not progressive music. It's pretty straightforward, no real twists or turns in the music, the songs are just long. I wouldn't go far enough to call Justice a progressive album, it's just 'their' most "progressive" output.

Now, please stop with the Metallica threads!!!

^ the upper half of the chart is "prog territory" ... I'm just wondering if with Death Magnetic they manage to cross that border. I need to listen to it more often, but so far I am noticing many little "quirks" in the music. The first song even reminds me of Constant Motion of last year's Dream Theater album.

^ I think it wasn't the most progressive song in the world, but I'd still call it prog ... 6/10 at least.:)

^ maybe it depends on how you define "progressive" ... it surely doesn't sound like Genesis or Yes.

It doesn't have to sound like anything to get the label. This album is just a shot in the dark at restoring the bands name after that last monstrosity. They drew influences from all different points earlier in their career, but did nothing as well. They threw a handful of old darts at the board and hoped something would get close to the bulls eye.

this is just kinda ridiculous. theres nothing progressive about it. or good. just more boring stuff. damn too many posts about metallica

IMO quality or innovation doesn't have much to do with whether it's prog or not. I actually agree that the album is a combination of all they did before ... but isn't that what most artists do at this point in their career? I think that most bands have their peak of creativity in the first 5 years.

it's just a failed attempt at going back to their old formula

there's nothing prog about that. they are a self parody

Mathiäs;7609795 said:
Actually it was

You listen to a lot of progressive music & you know the formula. I don't listen to that song & think it's some progressive masterpiece. It's just a kinda rockin' metal song with a cool guitar & keyboard solo.

I dont think its very progressive if we are going to compare it to other bands/albums that fit into that category.

I dont think its progressive at all for Metallica in terms of moving forward and exploring new ground. If anything it is their most regressive album rehashing alot of old formlas from RTL, MOP, AJFA and also the Load albums. Sure they never really put it together like tat before but there is nothing new to the riffs. Its all stuff that Metallica has done before.

With that being said I enjoy the album.

it's hard to regress from saint anger

I meant going back to what they have already done before. With RTL they moved forward and they did the same with AJFA, s/t, Load and St Anger. Death Magnetic is however a look into the past trying to incorporate most of what Metallica has already done - luckily without any regard to St Anger. I think they know that one sucked just like we know it.