Metallica - Death Magnetic

im suprised like many they still have it in them. I hope they can still make a few more decent records before their time is up for good.

i've never really liked the metallica after the black album. they lost their essence, they "sold out." If cliff burton we're still alive, he'd probably smack the hell out of those guys. even if this new album seems to resemble or tries to revive their past, I DONT CARE, they're still losers to me. I MISS THE OLD METALLICA.

I enjoyed the album. It doesn't touch their first three, but it is no embarassment. I wonder how different metal history would have been if this would have been the follow-up to "And Justice For All..":err:

I've wondered the same thing. Let's just pretend for one minute that the Black album didn't come out and Death Magnet took it's place. Would the metal world be as split about Metallica as they are now? We may never truly know and we can theorize until the cows come home.

However, if this were the case, for me . . . I have a sneaking hunch that I'd still be disappointed with Death Magnet. Here's what I've noticed about this disc. The band seems to have lost the majority of their feel for epic songwriting. Justice had those majestic, sprawling instrumental passages that took the listener someplace. There are a billion memorable moments on that album. Magnet leaves me wondering if certain members of the band have just lost the fire to reach deep and perform from their musical soul. Kirks solos are all over the place, but never take the heart anywhere. Noodling for the sake of noodling. Lars overplays portions of the songs, almost as if to say, "Hey! Look what I can do!" but completely playing out of context of the song.

I don't know. Personally, I feel like the band was trying too hard to sound like the band that they used to be rather than be the hard ass mo-fo's that started a revolution. Is it a terrible album? No . . . not by a long shot, but it is far, far, far from their best. That's all. I've said my piece. Up the irons!

Probably the best since The Black Album. Not saying much though.

Time for these guys to hang it up, change their name or something. Metallica are gone forever. The days of the pounding, head smashing metal from these guys are way way over.

So many metal bands that came out around the same time are still putting out great music. WTF happened with these guys.

It's a shame. Much better music out there to spend your 15.00 bucks on.

Metallica....Please....Call it quits.....

You are completely trashing your legacy....If its not already trashed....

this album is definitely not in the league of the albums from killemall to ..and justice for all.. CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR guys,but they're definitely ON THE RIGHT TRACK.. its a lot better than load to st. anger.. peace out

The thing that set it apart from the others for me is the guitars, if you liisten to this album and Ride The Lightning the heaviness is much less appealing now

I've wondered the same thing. Let's just pretend for one minute that the Black album didn't come out and Death Magnet took it's place. Would the metal world be as split about Metallica as they are now? We may never truly know and we can theorize until the cows come home.

However, if this were the case, for me . . . I have a sneaking hunch that I'd still be disappointed with Death Magnet. Here's what I've noticed about this disc. The band seems to have lost the majority of their feel for epic songwriting. Justice had those majestic, sprawling instrumental passages that took the listener someplace. There are a billion memorable moments on that album. Magnet leaves me wondering if certain members of the band have just lost the fire to reach deep and perform from their musical soul. Kirks solos are all over the place, but never take the heart anywhere. Noodling for the sake of noodling. Lars overplays portions of the songs, almost as if to say, "Hey! Look what I can do!" but completely playing out of context of the song.

I don't know. Personally, I feel like the band was trying too hard to sound like the band that they used to be rather than be the hard ass mo-fo's that started a revolution. Is it a terrible album? No . . . not by a long shot, but it is far, far, far from their best. That's all. I've said my piece. Up the irons!

This is probably the best review of Death Magnetic I've read. I think it nails the album and where Metallica is now on the head.

Cheers :headbang: