Metallica's "One" video; Slayer's "Seasons" video

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
In the recent threads discussing metallica, some have said that their decision to make a video for "One" really helped alter their opinions regarding this once great band. In the mid 80s, Metallica claimed they'd never do a video.
And then they did.

However, other heavy bands of the era made videos prior to Metallica. Megadath had videos for "Wake Up Dead" and "Peace Sells". Anthrax shot videos for "Madhouse" and "Indians". Testament had vids for "Trial By Fire" and "Over the Wall". King Diamond shot vids for "Family Ghost" and "Welcome Home". Heck, even Celtic Frost released a video for the classic "Circle of the Tyrants".

Then Slayer did a video for "Seasons in the Abyss".

Did these bother you, as well? Or, since (to my knowledge) these bands never claimed that they would never shoot videos, are you not bothered by it?

In 1989, was a video an act of "selling out", or is it simply a means by which to bring your music more exposure? Spread the metal message, as it were?

And, of course, none of the songs/videos mentioned above are soft, commercial sell-out tunes.

It never bothered me that Metallica made the 'one' video. And to this day I consider 'one' to be a great song. I have always liked it and I always will. In fact I think it was one of the best songs they ever made.

The act of making the video never bothered me at all, although I don't really like that video personally. The whole thing about the guy with the thing over his face just bugs me. But that's a personal niggle.

They shouldn't have shot their mouths off about never making a video. That's why they get shit about it. End of story. Lars isn't very good at keeping his pie-hole shut however.

Electronicoil said:
They shouldn't have shot their mouths off about never making a video. That's why they get shit about it. End of story. Lars isn't very good at keeping his pie-hole shut however.
Exactly 'Coil. My problem was always their claim that they would never do a music video for MTV. Heck, they built a huge chunk of their fanbase using that as their tagline (including me). They were the band of the people, for the people. Then they became just another MTV glammer child.

If it wasn't for Metallica's claim, I would have had no problem with them doing a video. And to be truthful, it's not the videos, per se, that bother me. It's the whole direction the band went, musical styles, production, and videos where they pose and look pretty. It went against everything they had previously stood for.

Now, in their defense (which I do grudgingly), I am sure it wasn't their decision to make that first video for One. That was the record company's doing. By the late 80s, making a video was a part of the band's contract. The label paid to have at least one video made from every album they released. It was all part of the advertising package.

When the One video hit the big time (and how could it not, MTV promoted the hell out of it), Metallica got a taste of the fame and fortune. And they embraced it like a long lost child...forever changing their musical style and philosophy. Gone was the band of the people, for the people.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Exactly 'Coil. My problem was always their claim that they would never do a music video for MTV. Heck, they built a huge chunk of their fanbase using that as their tagline (including me). They were the band of the people, for the people. Then they became just another MTV glammer child.

If it wasn't for Metallica's claim, I would have had no problem with them doing a video.

Thanks. This sums it all up, really.

I, too, was a bit turned off by this scenario, but, at the same time, I felt it would help bring needed exposure to the thrash scene. of course, as you say, that exposure may have contributed to Metallica's eventual change in course.

I'm not a defender of Metallica, per se, but I'm really intrigued by the general volumes of scorn heaped their way. Just playing devil's advocate, really.

I understand, Soundmaster. I actually turned a little devil's advocate on myself because there are two views of the story and the both need to be considered. Heck, truth be told, MTV and Elektra are probably much more to blame than Metalllica ever was. The music industry turned the San Francisco boys from a raging bull into just another milk cow in the loading chute.

I couldn't understand why people "cared" if bands made videos or not?
After all it is called "the music business" right?! It's about selling your music.
At that time having a music video helped get your music to millions! I can't recall what the stats were but it was a rediculous number of radio air plays that = one play on MTV....

Making videos doesn't bother me at all...and the way they did the video for "One" was awesome. And the video fo "Seasons" was just KILLER - out in the desert and shit...really captured the feel of the song.

JB

I really don't care about it. That video was made long before I really got into music. I think it is a great video. I think I remember some interview with Hetfield that said a fan went up to him on the street and spit in his face for selling out by making a video.

Soul of Ice said:
I really don't care about it. That video was made long before I really got into music. I think it is a great video. I think I remember some interview with Hetfield that said a fan went up to him on the street and spit in his face for selling out by making a video.

Bad TSO! ;) :tickled:

I was really impressed when I was seeing the "One" video for the first time. The lyrics and the man without legs and arms, suffering from the war he was into is something really good done. Maybe it only got that much effect on me because I was about 13 years old at that time. hehe
Even if someone is screaming for sell outs, I like Metal videos, and I enjoy them, and give a flying fart what others my think. At the end, it´s just another matter of taste.

Hawk said:
It never bothered me that Metallica made the 'one' video. And to this day I consider 'one' to be a great song. I have always liked it and I always will. In fact I think it was one of the best songs they ever made.

:headbang:

I completely agree with that statement!! I actually feel that "One" is probably one of Metallica's top 5 songs ever. The song (and vid) are totally dark and dismal and the only reason that there is any derision amongst Metalheads is because the vid created a larger fanbase. This was because "One", as well as "Eyes Of A Stranger" by Queensryche, were shown in the afternoons on MTV's daily Rock countdown show. This simply exposed Metallica's (then) greatness to a larger portion of people who were oblivious to their genious.

All that said...damn I remember a lot of idiot jock athletes driving around playing "One" (and ONLY "One") in their convertibles all the friggin' time. Hey, they have MORE than that 1 song, you friggin' imbesols...:yell:

When the "one" and "seasons" video made their way to MTV and Headbangers Ball, you all have to admit it was a great time for metal. I think both videos are excellent, and still to this day love to see them on Metal Mania on VH1 Classics.

I dont blame these videos for causing what has happened. Music took a turn for the worst in the early 90s, and many bad things happened. Not to just Metallica, but the metal world in general.

The scars are deep, and still are effecting metal to this day...

SoundMaster said:
In the recent threads discussing metallica, some have said that their decision to make a video for "One" really helped alter their opinions regarding this once great band. In the mid 80s, Metallica claimed they'd never do a video.
And then they did.

However, other heavy bands of the era made videos prior to Metallica. Megadath had videos for "Wake Up Dead" and "Peace Sells". Anthrax shot videos for "Madhouse" and "Indians". Testament had vids for "Trial By Fire" and "Over the Wall". King Diamond shot vids for "Family Ghost" and "Welcome Home". Heck, even Celtic Frost released a video for the classic "Circle of the Tyrants".

Then Slayer did a video for "Seasons in the Abyss".

Did these bother you, as well? Or, since (to my knowledge) these bands never claimed that they would never shoot videos, are you not bothered by it?

In 1989, was a video an act of "selling out", or is it simply a means by which to bring your music more exposure? Spread the metal message, as it were?

And, of course, none of the songs/videos mentioned above are soft, commercial sell-out tunes.

I was never turned down by the video debut of Metallica. Actually it was my exposure to AJFA and I thought the song was bland (still do) but the video was cool :D

Slayer's video is also one of my faves maybe because is among the few songs I tolerate from them :lol: Testament, Anthrax and Megadeth songs are also good so again I don't care if they're visual or not, don't care for KD and I'll love to have the CF video ;)

NP: Sweet Savage - 'D.U.D.'

Even though they did state they would never make a video, I love the vid for 'One.' Not only is it a great song, but it's a superb video aswell. Compare it to others, such as the before mentioned 'Trial By Fire' video. TBF makes zero sense (to me anyways), while One actually enhances the musical experience of the song. I don't care who you are, I love music videos. But if you do them just for the sake of airplay, then you smell.

sixxswine said:
I couldn't understand why people "cared" if bands made videos or not?
After all it is called "the music business" right?! It's about selling your music.
It seems a lot of people forget the last part of that phrase...business. This is their chosen profession and they want to make money at it, not be a failure. I've always wondered why no one holds others, or themselves, to the same standards, as they do musicians. We've all done, or do, jobs just for the money. We choose what profession to enter and hope to make the most money we can at it. Music is a product you create, manufacture, promote and, hopefully, sell.