MetalReview.com's Damnation Review

Diabolic-MetalReview.com said:
Zup Friends,
Here's my take on Damnation:

http://www.metalreview.com/dissect.asp?ID=357

Cheers!

Good review with the exception of the rant at the beginning. My only complaint about Damnation is the length, otherwise I think it's a great album from start to finish. I have to admit that on first listen I didn't know what to think because I haven't listened to much 70's style prog rock. After a few listens though, the songs really hit me and I just can't get enough of it. I'm glad the tracks primarily don't jump around in styles, I like the slow, somber affect the tracks have and I feel the album as a whole is stronger because of it. Damnation is certainly an album that I will be playing over and over for years to come.

"Bottom Line: I think Opeth’s clean side of the universe should be left where it originally came from, smack dab in the middle of a heavy ass tune. It hits harder amongst them and the payload is ten fold. Presented as an album by itself the impact is no where near as fulfilling. I do however believe Opeth could pull off an album that does embody the music that delivers chills by way of the clean, but maybe next time more time itself should be spent on writing and less on the overall idea of having a ying/yang release. Should you buy this album? Of course you should, but keep your expectations at a minimum and I truly believe the songs will leave more of a lasting impression." -from metal review..
To be honest I haven't heard the whole CD yet..
But I might agree with you there..I like the contrast of heavy and mellow but some softer Opeth tunes hit hard, like Benighted..
From the one trackt I heard at freinds house the new Cd sounds very proggy and Pink Floydish..Maybe a prefer the more standard mellow Opeth tunes to the prog influence but we'll see when I hear the whole CD..Good site BTW and I LOOOVE the rant before the review..The review sounds like "A fair judgment" pun intended..

I dont really care wether you like the songs or not, becouse that is totally individual, but putting songwriting and musicianship at 4 is crazy. Its defenatly the most subtle Opeth album to date, and you cant pull that off as well as they do without knowing excactly what you are doing.

"What I found was a solid album that makes for good background music or for a long drive on a Saturday afternoon."

I couldn't agree more. It's a great album when you're in a mellow mood.