Metric Halos Channel Strip

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
So, I'm finally in the process of aquiring myself a copy of MOTU Digital Performer 4.6 (as payment for a project) and I've been thinking about getting the native version of the Metric Halo channel strip. Of course I'll be trying the demo out first but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it and it's practical CPU requirements? I'd be running it on my latest generation 1.42GHz iBook with 1.5Gb ram.

Is there anything else in the same price range (£230) that I'm overlooking?

M.H. channel strip is the shizzle Fo-rizzle!!:Spin:
And as you all know, Andy loves it too!!! I use it on Toms/ Snare/ Kick/ Overheads/ drums sub mix.
CPU requirements? I dont know. I have a G5 dualie 2.0 and I run around five of them with no problem.
2.5 gigs of ram.:headbang:

Kenny Lee said:
M.H. channel strip is the shizzle Fo-rizzle!!:Spin:
And as you all know, Andy loves it too!!! I use it on Toms/ Snare/ Kick/ Overheads/ drums sub mix.
CPU requirements? I dont know. I have a G5 dualie 2.0 and I run around five of them with no problem.
2.5 gigs of ram.:headbang:

Woah, woah woah, wait a minute...I'm almost scared to ask, but do y'all normally compress the drum submix?? I never even thought to try that, but it makes a lot of sense.

Kenny Lee said:

I'll second that. Something SSL-ish for metal, 1176 for pretty much everything else.

Since there's really no SSL dynamics clone plugin for PC (VST) yet, as far as I know, you can kinda sorta get there with Charles "Livin' La Vida Loca" Dye's Waves RenComp mix buss setting of all things:

Electro mode, character Smooth, ARC off, Ratio = 2:1, Attack = 4, Release = approx. 250-300 (set about to 8th note).

Slam to taste, but be sure you're still leaving some "air" in the kit.

THEN... Slap on the free Colortone plugin from TriTone Digital. Select the SSL channel impulse and crank the "color" up all the way.

http://www.tritonedigital.com/products.htm#colortone

I actually just started fucking around with this, so... YMMV.

Sorry for the hi-jack, Razor. I don't know shit about the MHCS. :p

straight to you from NAMM... Waves just introduced the SSL 4000 collection including the SSL G-Master Buss Compressor, the SSL G-Equalizer, and the SSL E-Channel, fully authorized by Solid Stage Logic, in both TDM and Native versions.

Black Sugar, there you go buddy.

James Murphy said:
straight to you from NAMM... Waves just introduced the SSL 4000 collection including the SSL G-Master Buss Compressor, the SSL G-Equalizer, and the SSL E-Channel, fully authorized by Solid Stage Logic, in both TDM and Native versions.

Very cool stuff...I hope.

Hi Andy and James and all the rest of you guys at this
excellent forum,happy to finally have found it! :)

Mike W

James Murphy said:

HOLY CRAP!!! Did they give a timetable? Can't find anything online yet...

Mike Wead said:
Very cool stuff...I hope.

Hi Andy and James and all the rest of you guys at this
excellent forum,happy to finally have found it! :)

Mike W

Mike Wead?! The LEGIT Mike Wead? You sir, fucking OWN.

Nice to type at ya... huge fan of your playing. Your Memento Mori work is muy inspirado.

Not to get all FanBoi Dork on ya. =)

James Murphy said:

James... TMD/Native versions. Do you know if this means these will also be available as VST for us cats who run lowly hosts like Sonar?

when i tried the metric halo channel strip demo version i couldnt believe how good i got my drums to sound. i sat around playing with drum tracks i had borrowed from various bands forever amazed with the sound. i wish i could afford it.

James Murphy said:

WOW! If they sound just as good.. We'll see if SSL said 'yes' to the sound or to the money.

black sugar said:
I'll second that. Something SSL-ish for metal, 1176 for pretty much everything else.

Since there's really no SSL dynamics clone plugin for PC (VST) yet, as far as I know, you can kinda sorta get there with Charles "Livin' La Vida Loca" Dye's Waves RenComp mix buss setting of all things:

Electro mode, character Smooth, ARC off, Ratio = 2:1, Attack = 4, Release = approx. 250-300 (set about to 8th note).

Slam to taste, but be sure you're still leaving some "air" in the kit.

THEN... Slap on the free Colortone plugin from TriTone Digital. Select the SSL channel impulse and crank the "color" up all the way.

http://www.tritonedigital.com/products.htm#colortone

I actually just started fucking around with this, so... YMMV.

Sorry for the hi-jack, Razor. I don't know shit about the MHCS. :p

So just to double check: it's not going to kill the drums if you compress, say, the kick drums once on their own, then again in the drum bus, and then again in the final master?