Metronome bleed, bad routing?

Dexter_prog

New Metal Member
Apr 5, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I've read some threads on this issue but most of them was because the user's guitar or bass was picking up the output. So, to rule that out, I unplugged everything from my interface except the output cables to the monitors and the bleed is still there! It also happens with other DAWs, so I think it is a routing problem. I have a Focusrite Saffire 24 Pro and this is what I've tried so far (people that have this interface might understand this easier, anyway, see the screenshot):

Focusrite Saffire pro 24

(this is what I sent to Focusrite tech support)
---
Routing problems? I'm having metronome bleed and I think it is probably due to a routing problem. I have nothing connected to my Saffire except the output to the monitors, which are actually Edifier speakers and not studio monitors (output 1 & 2). Recording this way (noise) records also the metronome in the background (so it's not catching it from my guitars pickups or any other possible source). This are the things I've tried and their results, while having Mixcontrol settings reset to factory settings:
- Mixcontrol - everything untouched: bleed
- Mixcontrol - Daw 1&2 MUTED / Mix 1 unmuted: no bleed
- Mixcontrol - Daw 1&2 unmuted / Mix 1 MUTED: no bleed
- Monitors - turned off: bleed
- Monitors - unplugged from monitor source: bleed
- Monitors - plugged to output 3&4 and then 5&6: bleed and bleed
- Monitors - not plugged to saffire output: no bleed
- Monitors - different cable (RCA to single jack plugged into the headphones out): no bleed
- Monitors - different cable (RCA to single jack plugged into output 1): bleed
- Monitors - different cable (RCA to single jack plugged into output 2): bleed
- Other things tried: same stuff with another DAW: same results

Note:
-----
(bleed = metronome bleed)

What I think:
There doesn't seem to be a problem with the cable, but with the main output of the Saffire. Also, it does not seem to be a hardware problem, but a software routing problem. I tried different mixcontrol routing settings but couldn't stop the bleeding. Maybe there's something not setup properly about windows audio (windows 7). This is driving me nuts
---

I don't know what else to try, this is very weird

I have it too.

is it still there if you record with headphones?
Not if I disconnect the monitors or mute them via the saffire (software) mixer . That's a workaround, but still pretty annoying.

Shit. I forgot to update this post. I've traced the problem down to my monitors. After removing my speakers and plugging my dad's shitty desktop speakers all bleeding is gone. How can my Edifiers be causing this? Even when they are turned off the bleeding occurs. I don't know what could be causing this, but it seems to be some crosstalk between the monitors and the cable that connects them to the Saffire. Trying differen cables didn't solve the issue so there's something IN the monitors. Maybe they've got a Gremling or something in there.