Mezarkabul (Turkish metal)

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
Has anyone here heard Mezarkabul - Unspoken? They are a turkish metal band in the vein of Lefay, Tad Morose, Cage and Orphaned Land. A friend of mine (also turkish) turned me onto them. To my ears, there are several five-star songs on this album, and the rest are all solid four-star compositions. If you are a fan of the above-mentioned bands, Mezarkabul comes highly recommend from me.

For those who haven't heard them, you can download a song from the label's website.

http://www.noiserecords.com/downloads/Mezarkabul@www.noiserecords.com-In_Esir_Like_An_Eagle.mp3

Yeah, Mezarkabul used to be called Pentagram, but they had to change their name because there was already an American band using that moniker. From what I read they are still known as Pentagram in their home country. I haven't heard any of the Pentagram albums, just got Unspoken.

Yes, Soundmaster, it is flavored regularly with middle-eastern melodies. It was their similarity to Orphanded Land that led me to them, via my Turkish friend Murat. Mezarkabul doesn't get quite as folky as OL (not really much mellow acoustic stuff), and isn't quite as progressive. Still, it's pretty damn good and I'm having a hard time keeping it out of my cd tray for very long.

Right now, five listens in, I'd rate Mezarkabul at a solid 8 out of ten stars.

Orphaned Land, after 50+ listens in, is ten stars and a planet.

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Yes, Soundmaster, it is flavored regularly with middle-eastern melodies. It was their similarity to Orphanded Land that led me to them, via my Turkish friend Murat. Mezarkabul doesn't get quite as folky as OL (not really much mellow acoustic stuff), and isn't quite as progressive. Still, it's pretty damn good and I'm having a hard time keeping it out of my cd tray for very long.

Right now, five listens in, I'd rate Mezarkabul at a solid 8 out of ten stars.

Orphaned Land, after 50+ listens in, is ten stars and a planet.

Thanks, then I'm sold.
I shall check them out, for sure. Are their records available in the states?

Love the music - not crazy about the singers style and voice - but I would buy this for the music alone. Definitely pretty cool and I dig the rhythms in the song online.

JB

If you are interested in the metal scene of Turkey, I would recommend :
Moribund Oblivion
Ominous Grief
Satanic Verses
Raven Woods
Witchtrap
Lost Infinity​
and apart from Orphaned Land :worship: , there are some other good Israeli bands like Salem, Melechesh, Azazel, Arallu, etc..

USMC0341 said:
Love the music - not crazy about the singers style and voice - but I would buy this for the music alone. Definitely pretty cool and I dig the rhythms in the song online.

I'll agree that there is nothing "spectacular" about the singers voice, but I think he does an adequate job. His style reminds me of that singer from Cage (mixing clean and gruff vocals together), but his pipes just don't measure up to that guy.

Still, like you said, the music's so killer that it's easy to overlook any weaknesses in the singing department. And he's not bad by any means, just not spectacular.

Wow! An awesome tune!! Thanks, Trans! Not much in the way of Middle-Eastern elements, however.

I shall definitely seek out this ablum. Do you know the album's title?

And, I actually enjoyed the singer.....I find nothing wrong with his style whatsoever.

Yeah, not all songs have middle eastern melodies, but most of them do, sprinkled throughout. Again, not quite as pronounced as OL, but still enough to give them a unique flavor.

The album is Unspoken. Here is a link to it on CD Universe:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=6107313&cart=229888336

The Century Media website also has it available, centurymedia.com and click on the "shop" link. Search for Mezarkabul.

My friend Murat, who turned me onto the band, wrote a killer review on Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/104-2653052-8795128?v=glance&s=music

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Yeah, not all songs have middle eastern melodies, but most of them do, sprinkled throughout. Again, not quite as pronounced as OL, but still enough to give them a unique flavor.

The album is Unspoken. Here is a link to it on CD Universe:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?style=music&pid=6107313&cart=229888336

The Century Media website also has it available, centurymedia.com and click on the "shop" link. Search for Mezarkabul.

My friend Murat, who turned me onto the band, wrote a killer review on Amazon too.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005UF2K/qid=1108182445/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-2653052-8795128?v=glance&s=music

Thanks for the links. That was a great, well-written review.
Thanks for introducing me to this band. :headbang:

SoundMaster said:
Thanks for the links. That was a great, well-written review.
Thanks for introducing me to this band. :headbang:
Yeah, Murat's review was very impressive, especially considering that English is a second language to him. We originally met online because he and I kept reviewing the same albums on Amazon (and the fact we are both regulars on the Ayreon and Jon Oliva forums). You might sift through Murat's reviews on Amazon if you get some free time. He has excellent taste in music and a very extensive collection. I've discovered several new bands thanks to his advice.

Oh, and you are quite welcome. I enjoy spreading the disease of quality old school metal (especially the stuff with progressive tendencies).

Folks, thanks for the info on this band...that dl is excellent. The singer is perfect with me, I am always on the hunt for clean vox. I was asking around the other day about Middle Eastern metal - with that I ordered a few from Orphaned Land (but haven't heard 'em yet).

I also spied that Lefay will be in Chicago in early April -- Chicago Power Fest...

I've got all three Orphaned Land albums. Mabool is by far the best, even the band admits that. They worked on it for seven years, it better be good! Their first album, Sahara is more death metal than the others. The growling outweighs the clean vox by a little. El Norra Alila has more death vox than Mabool, but it is still dominated by clean vox. As you listen to them, you can hear them progress in abililty both in playing and songwriting.

I listened to Mezarkabul and OL's El Norra Alila back to back last weekend, to compare the two. I thought Mezarkabul was just a tad better, but they can't hold a candle to OL's Mabool album.