MFX or Pedal board for leads

dmmi

Mar 23, 2010
For the most part I like nice soupy lead sound, which requires the addition of reverb, delay, some chorus (depends on situation), and gain/boost. Until now I've always done that in my DAW setup.....ie. record rhythm tracks, set up lead sound....record lead tracks

Now I'm getting to the point that I need to do this in a jam setting and/or live in the future. Problem is when going for a lead, I'm not liking the tap dancing if required to engage 3 or 4 pedals....

So are most of you guys using an MFX board and programming bank up.....or bank down to achieve this.....or is there a pedal configuration I could look at to engage 3 pedals with a single pedal in front....possibly a tuner pedal with mute and thru?

Anyway, any help is appreciated.....hope that wasn't too confusing

Cheers!

You just need a loop pedal - I'm sure Boss do a terrible one for like £100, but you can pick them up for like £30 on eBay. There's no need for active components either, so you can get ones that don't need a battery/power supply.

Steve

AB Box and a line mixer in the FX loop is the solution to your issue. Depending on how complicated the tapdance is.

If its something like
FX Loop In > Chorus > Delay >Reverb > FX Loop In you dont even need an AB Box, just run your pedals in the loop and turn the loop on and off if your amp has a switchable loop. If it doesnt and the loop is always on then get the AB Box setup going.

FX Loop In > AB Box

A Side > Chorus > Delay > Reverb > Line Mixer > FX Loop In
B Side > Line Mixer > Fx Loop In

The entire setup should only run you about $100, much cheaper then a quality Multi-Effect Unit

Thanks.....I've got some planning to do. Looks like the A/B setup is probably the way to go, I use a modified Valveking halfstack....with no fx loop switching. While I do have a Digitech RP355, I don't find some of its Fx usable, so stompboxes are probably the way to go for this.

So.....lets throw something else in the fire here....

- I understand the whole A/B loop switching scenario above, but how about a second A/B loop for clean stuff..
eg. rhythm - Git>Boost>gate>amp
Lead - Git>boost2>Chor>delay>reverb>amp
Clean - Git>Chor2>reverb>amp

Is this possible with minimal tap dancing...maybe A/B/C switch. I've been looking at a Boss LS-2 line switcher....but can't quite tell via manual if it's A/B/bypass would work for this

Thanks
Cheers!