mic -> computer?

FLechdrop

Sep 16, 2002
Amstelveen, Holland
Visit site
I'm thinking about buying a mic to record my vocals on my computer. However, I don't have a clue how to connect the mic to my soundcard, do I have to buy a special soundcard or some connector or somethin??
Thanks for the help.

You're soundcard should have a pink small plug on it, when you buy a mic just plug it into that, almost all soundcards including built in sound cards have that.

there is an adapter that i have. its made for a big plug to go in a small one. that fits right in the back of your computer that has a little mic next to it. that should work fine. if you dont have any programs, your gonna have to use Soundmaker. it works, but only gives you 1 minute of recording time. thats no good

I don't know that yet actually, I wanted to know this first. I think Metal Is Religion's adapter should be what I need, where can you get those? Music shop? Electronics shop? Are they on music123.com?

You're probably going to need a mic pre-amp too. When I hooked my mic to my computer, the input level was way too low to get a good recording.

I'm thinking about buying the Rode NT1. Do I need a pre-amp with that mic?
Also in the specs it says Power requirement:48V D.C.
Do I need some special adapter to feed it too?

EDIT: This is the page of the mic I might want to buy: http://www.rode.com.au/specsnt1a/index.html

I think it needs phantom power and if I also need a mic pre-amp I think I should buy something like this http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=11840, it is phantom and pre-amp in one thingie.

So that would mean I have to buy this stuff:

#84341 Rode NT1A Anniversary Issue Microphone
#11840 Rolls MP13 Mini Mic Preamp
#61654 Rapco AJ6 (6') (from mic to preamp)
#13927 Rapco M10 (10') (from preamp to computer)
#28335 Hosa GMP112 Balanced stereo adapter

Is this right? Did I miss something?

this rode mic, looks very nice (and the specs too), but never had any experience on that one... my mic is shure sm 58 and i'm very happy with it... i'm not recomending it, coz probably there's better mics... anyway you should pic a mic that is suitable for your voice...

FLechdrop said:
I'm thinking about buying the Rode NT1. Do I need a pre-amp with that mic?
Also in the specs it says Power requirement:48V D.C.

You need a mixer to feed the mic with 48v.
Remember that the Rode is a condenser microphone, so It's designed for vocals or cymbals (mid-high frequencies).

I'd suggest you to buy the always reliable Shure SM 58 or, if you have the right budget, the Shure Beta 58.

They're good enough for everything, plus don't need to be feeded with 48v (they're dynamic mics).

Anyway if you're a "recording freak" like me, I'd suggest to buy the Shure SM 57 for guitars (and percussive sounds) and the SM 58 for vocals.

Cheers

bunkker said:
You need a mixer to feed the mic with 48v.
Remember that the Rode is a condenser microphone, so It's designed for vocals or cymbals (mid-high frequencies).

I'd suggest you to buy the always reliable Shure SM 58 or, if you have the right budget, the Shure Beta 58.

They're good enough for everything, plus don't need to be feeded with 48v (they're dynamic mics).

Anyway if you're a "recording freak" like me, I'd suggest to buy the Shure SM 57 for guitars (and percussive sounds) and the SM 58 for vocals.

Cheers

A mixer? Doesn't a phantom power do the trick too?

Aren't the other Shure mics you refer to more live mics?
I thought condenser was better for studio recordings.

Do the SM 58 and Beta 58 also need a pre-amp? Cause if they don't it would be a lot cheaper :)

Yes the phantom power is the thing.

but anyway I always suggest at least a little tiny mixer between the mic and the pc...there's a lot of cheap ones.

be sure to have at least one aux out and 3 channels.

The sm 58 / 57 do not need to be fed by the 48 v circuit (they're dynamic).

The condenser is used in studio for vocals (clean mostly) and to catch the very high sparkling of the drums. Normally you put a condenser 5 metres away from the drums and than you can mix his signal with the whole drum tracks.

sm 58 is used (in studio) for raw vocals and the sm 57 can be used for mic-ing the guitars (I love it for that) and used for toms/snare (maybe there's some better products...but anyway it's good enough).

fair enough...sm 58/57 are a lot cheaper than a condenser.

anyway if you think condenser is better for you.. go for it.

cheers

FLechdrop said:
So does the shure beta 58 need pre-amp too?

Any mic you buy will sound better with a pre amp compared to your built in soundcard. However the 58 doesn't require 48V phantom power so will *work* plugged straight into the mic socket of your pc.

However, there will be all sorts of problems with noise if you don't get a seperated pre amp, for various reasons.

My suggestion would be to buy something like the M-Audio Audiobuddy or similar which is a fairly high quality soundcard with a built in mic pre. But the pre in that will sound a lot better than the SBLive or whatever you have at the moment, and the analog to digital converters will be a lot better sounding.

As far as mics go, if you want a good quality all round mic that will work well on electric guitars, drums as well as loud vocals, then I'd suggest the Sure SM57 rather than the 58, there almost the same, but you can get the mic closer to source with the 57 so it's more flexible than the 58.

Alternatively you could go for one of the lower end condensors, like the Rode NT1, AKG C3000 or the lower priced Audio Technicas. A lot of people feel these will give a more polished sound to vocals, and you'll be able to record acoustic instruments better than if you used a dynamic mic. Bear in mind that all condensors require a power supply, so make sure the pre amp you get can supply 40V phantom power (most will)

Here's what I use. Studio Projects C1 (it's an excellent mic) into M-Audio Audiobuddy mic pre. The mic is About $200 and the mic pre is $80. I don't think you'll be satified with what you will get from a dynamic mic for vocals. I'd definitely recommend you go for a condensor.