Need a Computer and Audio Interface

I should add here... you said you wanted something with 12 mic inputs... all the things people are recommending like the SF pro are only 8 mic inputs. The saffire has 8 mic/line inputs, and 2 channels of ADAT, which means you'd still need to buy another 8-channel convertor and mic pres. The other option is using a desk with a firewire interface. Dunno how much they cost over there, but the Mackie Onyx is great, I've spent some time on it. That's 16 pres, which are way better than the saffire, and 16 channels of really nice analogue EQ as well.

I should add here... you said you wanted something with 12 mic inputs... all the things people are recommending like the SF pro are only 8 mic inputs. The saffire has 8 mic/line inputs, and 2 channels of ADAT, which means you'd still need to buy another 8-channel convertor and mic pres. The other option is using a desk with a firewire interface. Dunno how much they cost over there, but the Mackie Onyx is great, I've spent some time on it. That's 16 pres, which are way better than the saffire, and 16 channels of really nice analogue EQ as well.

This is true. However, I have a Tascam mixer with 4 pre-amps, and 2 mono outputs. Maybe could plug that into the Saffire Pro?

That Onyx looks cool. It's only $1,280

Metalkingdom - how are the stock pre's on the Saffire? I'm pretty much sold on it, I'd say, from the rest of the info you've given.

They're really good. Clean and loud. If you want/need to add more inputs, then this is good (enough) with the SF Pro clock -

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SMPro-Audio-A08-ADAT-Lightpipe-Converter?sku=240162

I looked into the Onyx stuff awhile back, but it nearly as sexy as my SF Pro. And saying Onyx sounds better is a joke.

I just thought I'd mention/ask the following things

If I plug a keyboard into the Saffire Pro or similar interface, I would still need a pre-amp with it, right? When I plug my keyboard into my Tascam mixer, I still use the pre-amp, even though the signal should be line level.

The only time I'm going to need more than 2 inputs is when I'm recording drums. It seems like kind of a waste to get a huge interface when most of the time I will only need 1 or 2 of the inputs. Is there some workaround to buying a big interface?

You won't need a separate pre with the SF Pro or similar interfaces (Fireface, Firepod,etc)....they're built in (check MK's post above yours).

Yes I know that. What I meant was bass recorded direct, as well as keyboard, need pres, right? If so, I can't record drums and keyboard at the same time, unless I get more than 8 pres.

Whether your extra channels need mic preamps or are already at line level, most interfaces (including the saffire) still only have those 8 analogue inputs. You'll need another set of converters with an ADAT output, and perhaps more pres if you're using more than 8 mics on drums (which you will be if the guy has more than 3 toms or you want to close mic the hat). A setup with the presonus firestudio and digimax FS units would be pretty nice.

And yes, I think the onyx pres are way nicer than the focusrite! Cleaner, richer, and without that bland platinum series sound. But I guess like everything it comes down to preference :)

I just read you can't use the Onyx to record to a computer unless you buy a $400 firewire card for it. What is this unit used for if not for recording on a computer? Live sound?

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding on an interface. I've been researching the Alesis io|26, and it looks like it has the same specs as the Saffire Pro, but is much cheaper. Yet still, that's not enough inputs. I need more than 8 for drums alone.

For completion, I wound up getting the Alesis io|26

Only complaint so far is that the preamps only have 50 dB of gain. This can be worked aorund, considerign each channel has an insert, but htat still means buying more preamps.
I guess another complaint would be that the ADAT-in, while being able to carry 8 channels, can only carry 4 if you are recording at more than 44.1kHz

But that is probably true for other interfaces as well.

I still have about 27 days to return it if this turns out to be a problem.

The pres are straight out of an octopre LE. Not only do focusrite say that, but I've recorded with both side by side in a rack and they sound the same.

Maybe I should clarify that I'm using the SF Pro 26I/O. I think what you're saying is true of the SF Pro desktop thingy. Check my pic posted in this thread.