Transferring a Virus

Blacklisted

New Metal Member
Dec 20, 2013
Ok, so I know this might be a stupid question, but I have to ask.

I'm trying to record a couple of songs with an old friend and we're pretty sure his computer has a virus. I'm wanting record some midi tracks using my M-Audio Uno, which is a USB MIDI Interface.

If his computer is infected and I use my keyboard and M-Audio Uno with his computer, could I transfer a virus to my computer when I use the keyboard and M-Audio Uno on my computer?

Thanks in advance

definitively!
the best way to secure your stuff is a good preparation. make sure your hardware is in good shape and condition, this minimizes the chance of an infesction.
you should also avoid contact with other hardware that may already be infected. most tube amps are very vulnerable so make sure you use some software modeling.

ok,now seroiusly, why don't you jus tmake sure the computer is clean? if you already know that the computer is infested, clearing it shoud not be a problem.
there is tons of free anti virus software that should work. then again i pretty much doubt that hardware like a midi keayboard and interface can be infected...

lol

The computer scans actually come up clean with Windows Defender, but the computer is really glitchy. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem, but I would rather bite the bullet and ask then I would fuck up shit.

lol

The computer scans actually come up clean with Windows Defender, but the computer is really glitchy. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it wouldn't be a problem, but I would rather bite the bullet and ask then I would fuck up shit.

Download a different antivirus, then. Windows Defender is far from the best...

AVG Free, Advanced SystemCare and Malwarebytes should get rid of practically everything.

Run the Windows Task Manager and see if the CPU and/or RAM is being pegged. See how many processes are going, there shouldn't be more than 50 or so going at once for all users. That should tell you if there's something wrong. From there, what MatrixClaw suggested is the best route. Also make sure you update Windows!