Help in gathering best studio equipment

PowerMetalJesus

New Metal Member
May 9, 2008
Hi there, I am in the band Lunar Prophecy and I am trying to get some equipment together that would help us record a low budget (but still listenable) demo.

What I have at the moment is:
Samson C01U microphone
Line 6 Spider 3 150wt
M-Audio Fast Track
M-Audio Oxygen 61 keyboard
Yamaha DTXpress drum kit

I would like some ways to be able to record midi into a computer, a better mic, how to get the best tone when recording into a computer and what to use to record the guitar. Also what to use to record bass.

Edit: I am also using Mixcraft 4

Thanks very much

Sell the CO1 and get a used sm57. As for guitar, I would use a computer setup for recording on mega low budget... TSS----> Wagner sharp, 7170 or Soldano sim----> Impulses (Ie boogex).

Does the DT express have midi out? If so, Midi into the computer (and edit/quantise the take), and then out again if you want to use the sounds of the dt express, or slate ex if you don't.

Joe

It would help to include what your budget actually is.

Studio Monitors are pretty high up on the list of studio necessities. Otherwise you won't even know whether ur work is listenable or not:loco:

Edit: KRK Rokit RP5's are pretty decent for the price. It's what I'm using now.

It's been a while but I used to spec rigs like this every day....

For £500 I'd get an SM57, a new interface (Mackie Satellite is great), a set of monitors (Yamaha HS50's would be my choice), a mic stand and cables (will come in on budget if you buy from Thomann).

Get Reaper to mix/record and as said before, use software for the guitar tones as you'll get a much more realistic tone than using the Spider, also you can use the cymbal sounds from the Yamaha DT but grab some samples off here for the kicks and tom's (not too many kicks for power metal but with a bit of tweaking they'll work) and you can get yourself a sh*t hot sounding demo together with enough work.

Some of the best sounding albums are recorded using the same level of gear, once you've got gear that will record cleanly and it's more about getting the tones and performances right.

Neumann U87 microphone
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
PrismSound Orpheus
Clavia Nord Stage 88 EX
DW Satin oil drum kit

edit:

but for real: DO NOT BUY CHEAP SHIT, because it will most likely end up sounding like cheap shit and their lifespan is most likely a quarter compared if you buy the good shit to begin with. And the good shit usually always keeps their value too for quite a while. And if you ask me, rather get a good mid-price drumkit (like PDP, which is the cheaper brand of DW) than that overpriced e-kit.

Get
- good di-box for bass and guitar (I think a lot people here use radial J48 and the Countryman 85? I have the J48 myself)
- a drum mic set, you can use those mics for other instruments too (I like Sennheiser e604's for toms, Shure SM57 for snare, Audix D6 for kick and Röde NT5 for overheads)
- A soundcard that you can record those drum mics with (like the Presonus Firepod, it has 8 inputs)
- A good large diaphram mic for the vocals (I think many here like the Röde NT-1A (or was it NT-2A) from the budjet class?)
- 5 stands for the mics (kick, snare, overheads; e604 have clips, no stands needed) and popfilter for the vocal mic