Michael Angelo

Velocity

cause after i'm gone...
Mar 23, 2003
Austrheim, Norway
Visit site
What do you guys think about Michael Angelo? His one hell of a guitarist, but the name of one of the song on her album: "Yngwie can`t touch this" is stupid. After my opinion Yngwie is one of the reason we have such guitarist like Michael Angelo.

What is your opinion?

Sorry for bad english, im norwegian with a english teacher who sucks!

Velocity said:
What do you guys think about Michael Angelo? His one hell of a guitarist, but the name of one of the song on her album: "Yngwie can`t touch this" is stupid. After my opinion Yngwie is one of the reason we have such guitarist like Michael Angelo.

What is your opinion?

Sorry for bad english, im norwegian with a english teacher who sucks!

Your english is fine, we all know what your saying. I just heard this guy and I'm going to order some cd's tonight, he's awesome!

Angelo cheats. He uses a string dampener, which means that all he has to do is barly touch a fret and it makes the note. Whats more is, that after he lifts his finger from that fret, the base noise doesnt make a sound (if he were to hit the 12th fret on, say the high E string, and then let go, you would only here the 12th fret instead of 12 and 0, no matter how fast he did it). Because he cheats with this method, he can play as shitty as he wants to, double guitar or single, and make it sound "clean". While the rest of us have to learn the proper way to shred.....skill. No offence to Angelo fans.
Michael Romeo, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Stephan Forte (of Adagio), Paul Gilbert, Andy Timmons, Al di Meola, John McLaughlin, and various others set the TRUE standards of playing, at least for me.

The Yngster said:
I thought he only used the dampner while using double neck. I also think the double neck idea is stupid.

This is what i thought as well. On his recordings he also uses an echo effect that makes him sound faster than he is (most notably on No Boundaries). However, I have seen him play live and have clips off of his video and he is still arguably the fastest around. I am a fan.

I think No Boundaries is a great cd...awesome songs with some insane shredding. I think some of the songs are very well written though. My favorite is Jam Game. See if you notice the echo effect he uses.

He uses the dampener only on the double neck, where he plays one neck whith each hand, so he really needs it there. And I really can't think of a way a chorus will make you sound faster... anyway he is still one of the fastest around (download his video on kazaa, where he plays no boundaries, awesome, he plays a part with his hand the other way around), but he really doesn't do much new stuff..

WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

I created the exact same topic before this one "One Sick Son Of A Bitch"

People have stolen my threads twice in a row now WHY!!!

Thread stealers...gotta watch out for those guys. :)

Marty Friedman has used a dampner too, but not a conventional one, he uses someone elses finger or a piece of tape, so he doesn't just barely hit the note. But you have to look at his style, his right hand is so @#$%ed up that it must be harder to mute. He also is a legato player, which factors into that. Michael Angelo is fast, but I find it rather boring. Just shredding to shred, that's the feeling I get from him. I have No Boundaries, and yes the shredding is awesome, but again its just shredding to shred. The same scale over and over and the same arpeggios over and over, much like Yngwie. He is no doubt a skilled guitarist, as is Yngwie, whether he uses a dampner or not. I just find it musically to be rather dull.

Mr. Shred-ididle said:
WHAT THE FUCK!!!!

I created the exact same topic before this one "One Sick Son Of A Bitch"

People have stolen my threads twice in a row now WHY!!!

Sorry, im new here and haven`t read all the threads. So again sorry!
And it`s not the music or guitarskills to Mr. Angelo i critisise. He is an awesome guitar player and im very, very, very impressed even i am a drummer. But i think this is like Mike Portnoy says: "Neil Peart can`t touch this" (He never said that). Thats stupid and thats the only reason!

Hello Chris(Velocity),great rehearsal last night. I could not agree with you more, Angelo is tecnichally great, but the name of that song is just totally stupid, and he has no right to call it that.

acejhb said:
Angelo cheats. He uses a string dampener, which means that all he has to do is barly touch a fret and it makes the note.

So that means its cheating? No it means he's SMART. It means he found a technique to use that improves his speed playing. The logic of "cheat" is retarded. Thats like saying doublebass is cheating unless you can do it on 1 bass drum. Anytime someone creates a new idea, to make playing easier, its not cheating its called being smart, and innovative to make you better.

the_satanic_rabbit said:
Michael Angelo is fast, but I find it rather boring. Just shredding to shred, that's the feeling I get from him. I have No Boundaries, and yes the shredding is awesome, but again its just shredding to shred. The same scale over and over and the same arpeggios over and over, much like Yngwie.

I hate that. Same scales and arpeggios= :yuk:

DrumRman said:
So that means its cheating? No it means he's SMART. It means he found a technique to use that improves his speed playing. The logic of "cheat" is retarded. Thats like saying doublebass is cheating unless you can do it on 1 bass drum. Anytime someone creates a new idea, to make playing easier, its not cheating its called being smart, and innovative to make you better.

hmmm...interesting argument.
But I would say that it is more analogous to using triggers on the bass drums. If you use triggers, you can hit it as soft as you want and it will still come through as a solid pop. This is what Pete does from Morbid Angel. So, what really happens is the same thing as with the dampner, he hits the pedal softly and it sounds loud no matter what. This way the foot does not have to retract as far and you can play really fast.