Michael Joly/Oktava mod shop LDC?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
So I am still on my LDC hunt. I've already read Michael Joly/Oktava mod shop deliveries amazing quality mics but he has so many mods for different mics. I can hear the sibilance free top end he markets for all his mods.

Can I really send in my mxl990 and receive a world class mic? I don't mind using another mic as a better platform but I'm a bit overwhelmed on the choices.

So I am still on my LDC hunt. I've already read Michael Joly/Oktava mod shop deliveries amazing quality mics but he has so many mods for different mics. I can hear the sibilance free top end he markets for all his mods.

Can I really send in my mxl990 and receive a world class mic? I don't mind using another mic as a better platform but I'm a bit overwhelmed on the choices.

I sent my mxl 990 in and I was blown away. It sounds super close to a u87ai, and it's totally worth the money. I'm already planning on having him mod my mk-012s and getting a pair of his MJE-v250s as well.

Did you get a chance to listen to the a/b clips against his u87ai?

haha holy fuck. well that didn't take long! Yes I've been listening to clips with my in-ears and am rather perplexed how a shitty mxl can sound so close....

Thanks guys!

But do I send my 990 or c1? or both?!

Email Michael directly and ask him if you are unsure. He's usually very receptive and helpful.

Yeah I've never heard a single bad thing about the guy or his products. I'm sending in my MK012's soon and mya be picking up a cheap ldc to send him as well...

I've tried a few of his mics before and been pleasantly surprised.

That being said, he does do wonders with the inexpensive mics, but for the final price (mic + mod/shipping), there's a ton of other options out there worth looking into IMO.

Man, I'd like one on my MK-319 too, but all the shipping costs etc. are holding me back. I haven't really found anyone who does mods to these in Europe, other than this one: http://www.rauschenbergstudio.com/Shop/index.php?cPath=16_22

Getting a pair of MK-012's very soon too, with all the capsules even! I'm thinking I need to get a pair of them 102 LDC capsules to try out as well.

It's certainly not the same mod since Michael removes the plastic resonator on the capsule, removes the filter and the pad from the signal path and rebuild the head-basket with single layer mesh.

On other mics, he even changes the capsule.

hm. on the clips, i find the real ones definately clearly better. but the modded ones doesn´t sound bad either, propably a lot better than they did before. but not really close to the real thing, tbh.

hm. on the clips, i find the real ones definately clearly better. but the modded ones doesn´t sound bad either, propably a lot better than they did before. but not really close to the real thing, tbh.

I don't think they sound clearly better... At all (except maybe the chinese SDC mod which are kind of meh).

They don't sound identical for sure but they don't sound like cheap mics and that's the whole point.