Michael Romeo in GuitarOne Magazine OMG

The Metal Chick

In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
So I still get this mag because my subscription hasn't run out yet...they always have crappy bands like Puddle of Mudd, Fuel, Nickleback, you know, people who really aren't exceptional guitarists. Well, I think Mr. Romeo is now one step closer at being recognized by the masses because there is a half page ad for the current tour, with a picture of him playing his guitar. It is so freakin awesome! Just thought I'd share my excitement with you all :D

The Metal Chick said:
So I still get this mag because my subscription hasn't run out yet...they always have crappy bands like Puddle of Mudd, Fuel, Nickleback, you know, people who really aren't exceptional guitarists. Well, I think Mr. Romeo is now one step closer at being recognized by the masses because there is a half page ad for the current tour, with a picture of him playing his guitar. It is so freakin awesome! Just thought I'd share my excitement with you all :D
There was also a half page ad that ran in Guitar Player magazine. The December 2003 issue is the one to look for. It's a Symphony X/Steve Howe advertisment.

Glenn

Puddle of mudd should be on the cover of whiney ass bitches I lost my girlfriend magazine. I hate that band more than anything. I just want to take a fucking clump of mudd and shove it down that singers throat so he will shutup.

But its cool Romeo was in it.

Every once in a while those magazines have some cool guitarists mentioned. GuitarOne did an article on Jason Becker once. I also have an old "Where are they now?" issue that mentions Paul Gilbert, Vinnie Moore, Allan Holdsworth, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Greg Howe, and other great players. Too bad the main story focuses on whatever band is currently dominating MTV's TRL.

Splinterhead said:
Step 2. Getting Romeo on the cover of Guitar One Magazine.
That will be a challenge. I don't think he would exactly entice people to buy the mag if it was sitting at some news stand. I wouldn't be able to either. No jab at Romeo, companies like to put charismatic people on covers.

Hahahaha, that was rich.

'Companies' like to put WELL-KNOWN people on their covers. Charisma has nothing to do with it, because most of these morons on the covers of guitar magazines aren't charismatic at all.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Michael Romeo on the cover of a guitar magazine sometime in the not so distant future. Sure, most magazines use models and extremely attractive people on their covers to attract readers, but this is a GUITAR magazine. Nobody is going to pick it up and buy it on a whim because there is an attractive guy on the cover. I know that I am always interested in stories about new guitar players I may not have ever heard about. I can't stand it when they have the same guys on the cover who've been there 10, 20, a million other times. How many times can you hear the same BS about Jimi Hendrix, or Eddie VanHalen? I think a cover with Mike with a headline something like "The best guitarist you've never heard of" would be a great selling angle. All I know is, serious musicians don't care what the person looks like, but appreciate their talent. And even still, it's not like Mike looks like the Toxic Avenger or anything!

Whoa, I used to have a Toxic Avenger action figure back in the day. I still remember the day I broke one of his arms... it was a sad day indeed. :(

That show used to kick ass.

A guitar magazine that I would gladly subscribe to:

Romeo - Malmsteen "Point Counterpoint" - a neoclassical column discussing there different views on classical pieces that are tabbed out and how they would approach arranging/recording them in a rock context.

Petrucci - "Developing Speed" - his favorite techniqes in improving alternate picking.

McLaughlin - "Harmonic Convergence" - a column discussing musical composition/harmony/theory in general.

Al DiMeola -"Acoustic Techniques" - topics ranging from differences in technique between electric and acoustic. Composing and recording with the acoustic as the main solo instrument.

Greg Howe - "What Pick?" - exercises to improve legato chops. Also info on specific equipment and favorite settings to enhance legato playing.

Yep, I'd buy that mag, then frame it.

Anybody want to add anything else?

Wasn't there a toxic avenger cartoon at some point? i remember the movies, and i seem to remember at least a brief run of cartoons... is that all in my head?

hmm im trying to reacll the most recent covers of guitar one

p.o.m yes, saliva also

but john frusciante was on there early this year, as was hendrix, bb king, jeff beck, acdc...

guitar one is very diversified in my opinion. Which also means they have to touch on whats hot as well as older genres.