Michael Schenker to tour US(?)

Will Michael Schenker FINALLY tour the US?

• Yes!

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No!

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • He will try, but will get served papers after his first gig, and then kill tour.

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Michael who?

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
OK, folks. Welcome to the annual soap opera of guitar god Michael Schenker. Every year, MSG promotes a tour for the US, and every year, it gets cancelled because MS has an inability to A)Keep it in his pants, and B)Pay his obligations for the consequences of NOT keeping it in his pants. So, now he has another tour up (Mulcahy's in LI and Jaxx in Va.)

So, it bodes for a poll question: Will this tour actually come off?

Peace,
Ray C.

Yes, this sad saga of "will he or won't he" is a tad old indeed. I saw something recently about a July 1 date here in Dallas and I was excited for about a nanosecond given his history of canceling tours. Personally I've wanted to see this guy for about 20 years or so but I think to do so I will have to see him in another country and not here. Thus, my vote is "no" the tour will flame out before it begins.

Got to see him in 2004 4 times, due to Uli Jon Roth opening up, but anyway
got to see MSG in 1984 for the 1st time, MaCauley Schenker Group too 1989
and the Walk on water reunion tour with UFO, in my very own opinion very underated an awesome talent, all problems apart, alcohol etc. etc.. one of my top 10 guitar players of all time.

His playing has never stood out to me.

Then you haven't paid very close attention. When he's playing at the peak of his abilities (like in the late '70s/early '80s), there isn't a better player on the planet, IMO. He has the ability to play jaw-dropping solos that happen to drip with melody and feeling...something most hard rock/metal guitarists can't accomplish. The proof is in the pudding: I'm willing to bet that if you took a poll of successful rock/metal guitarists, Schenker's name would come out at or near the top as one of their primary influences.

Unfortunately, as great of a guitarist as he is, he seems to be somewhat of a dismal human being.

Then you haven't paid very close attention. When he's playing at the peak of his abilities (like in the late '70s/early '80s), there isn't a better player on the planet, IMO. He has the ability to play jaw-dropping solos that happen to drip with melody and feeling...something most hard rock/metal guitarists can't accomplish. The proof is in the pudding: I'm willing to bet that if you took a poll of successful rock/metal guitarists, Schenker's name would come out at or near the top as one of their primary influences.

Unfortunately, as great of a guitarist as he is, he seems to be somewhat of a dismal human being.

He has a rep of being a very nasty drunk. He has been in rehab 4 times. He has no rights to his music before 2000 (I do not know if he regained them). He lost his guitars, homes and his Mercedes. He was arrested in Mexico for taking his kids without permission. And, he has posted all his legal battles on his website, including what he has NOT paid in child support.

Nice guy, huh? Great guitar player, though.

He has a rep of being a very nasty drunk. He has been in rehab 4 times. He has no rights to his music before 2000 (I do not know if he regained them). He lost his guitars, homes and his Mercedes. He was arrested in Mexico for taking his kids without permission. And, he has posted all his legal battles on his website, including what he has NOT paid in child support.

Nice guy, huh? Great guitar player, though.

Yep, he sounds like a prick. With that aside, I still wouldn't walk across the street to see/hear him play.

~Brian~

I was one of the unfortunate promoters who booked a spot on the MSG tour that was supposed to go out in October of 2006. After spending a goodly sum on promotion, the tour canceled ... surprise surprise.

Guitar god or not, I will not attempt another booking of this show. I'll let someone else lose the money this time and I'll just buy a f*k'n ticket the old fashioned way.