Micing Toms - Getting a Rattle with the 57

_Brutalism_

May 14, 2008
Hi,

I thought maybe you could help me out on this one. Well first off, I'm using SM-57's on my toms for now because I'm still building up my mic collection and have only got those. I entend to get some Sennheiser MD-421s and 441s and AKG C518Ms for toms.

However, as I lack the equipment I have to clamp 57's to my toms and this produces a rattle. It sound like the capsule rattling and believe me it sounds horrible. However with some experimentation I found that holding the clamp removed this rattling as it absorbs the vibration.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Trying to "tighten" the capsule doesn't seem to work. Do you guys suggest taping the mic? This is a real problem for now. My next purchase is going to be the C518Ms as they're compact and slim and the clamp and goosneck look better.

Do you guys have some advice? I will post examples if they are really required.

Thanks in advance!

Wow cheers bro, I'll surely invest in them when I can. Problem is they're in America and shipping to here is rare or else expensive.

Where are you from? Check thomann.de for cheap mic stands (they're decent enough)

Lol what a coincidence I just ordered a few stands for thomann but short ones (ie. cheap too), for micing guitar cabinets and bass drums. I'll have to invest for bigger ones later. However, the problem is that my cymbals are very close to the toms, and not only do they bleed into the 57 if its not 1-2 inches away from the skin, but space restrictions apply also. Even with this damn clamp I have to higher the cymbals alittle, making me feel weird. I guess I'll have to adjust the cymbals and get used to them while leaving space for the tom mics.

Does anyone else get a rattle with the SM-57 cap some way or another and how do you fix this please?

Yeah I get that problem with clamps. The solution is to dump the clamps for stands. I have a couple of those on stage brand stands and as long as your not taking them on the road or continuously taking them down and putting them up they are actually pretty stout.

They suck as OH stands though, not long or rugged enough (since they have to be raised out of the stand so much).