Micing inside a tom?

LiberaScientia

Cat Dad
Apr 19, 2012
Portsmouth, UK
So I've been thinking about the way toms are miced compared to how kicks are miced (in/out), and it got me thinking, I wonder whether having a mic inside a port in the bottom head of a tom would sound good, since it's a universally accepted method for micing a kick. When you think about it, a tom is a pretty similar kind of drum to a kick, only smaller and less deep, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work for toms, especially fairly low tuned floor toms. So my question to you guys is: have any of you guys ever tried this, and if so, how did it sound? If not, what are your thoughts on the matter?

Apologies in advance if this is actually a retarded idea :lol:

I say don't do it. Toms are a load of flub without reso heads and cutting a hole in one won't remedy anything. The port in the kick is supposed to move air, and metal kicks are fairly dead and staccato. Metal toms, however, have a certain amount of sustain and the attack comes from where the stick hits the head, which if cleverly done, rejects off axis signal i.e. cymbal noise. You get your shell tone from the room. If a mic is inside a reso port, it's probably more than likely to just mud out. Also, you'd be killing any sustain from resonances within the drum itself with an overly large vent.

Edit:
I hate that basketball attack. Also, the O-rings he's using are almost certainly there to control some kind of insane resonance. Kit's tuned nicely.