Tom tuning - not what you think.

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
I've searched around, but couldn't find anything about this. If I missed a thread about this, I'm sorry.

So you've spent hours tuning, micing and tracking a drummer. The toms sound good, but could benefit from being augmented with samples. How do you go about getting the tom samples tuned appropriately when sample-replacing? I find the pitch function in Drumagog too inaccurate and I'm leery about most of the pitch processing tools I have at my disposal. I start by finding complimenting samples that are tuned/sized appropriately, but it doesn't always work out.

Thoughts?

Pitch shifting toms in the built in kontakt pitcher (SSD) works just fine for me...always keep an eye on phase when blending samples with the real deal. And I always use some reference while tuning toms for recording. I choose the samples from some library (it may be SSD or superior) that MAY work in the mix and which i MIGHT use to augument drum tracks in this particular session and try to tune my toms accordingly to them so that there will not be great difference in pitch.