Mikael Åkerfeldt Masterclass Lesson and Guitar Rig Video!

Brilliant! Thanks!

Check out the interview too. Good questions that other interviewers seem to never ask...
"
IC: I want to talk about your signature death metal growl. Is it something that you’ve developed over the years, or did you always have it – just walking around with that deep growl?

MA: I don’t know. I basically started doing it because I thought I could do it, because I wasn’t really a normal singing type of singer. So with my first band, basically we just made a few simple riffs and did some naïve lyrics and screamed. Later on, I came up with something that I wanted to sing over, so I tried that, too, and eventually I was kind of doing both styles."

and

"IC: Part of the unique sound of Opeth is made up of some of the more complex harmonies that you compose. Did you ever study theory or any kind of harmony in particular?

MA: No.

IC: Do you know the chords that you’re playing?

MA: No.

IC: You just do it all by ear?

MA: Yeah"

I can't believe he played the simple to figure parts of Face of Melinda and didn't play its all-mysterious distortion riff which is different in each tab I've seen. I believe the correct tab for FoM distortion riff is:

E||----7-7---5-5---5-5---5---3-3-3---||
B||----5-5---5-5---5-5---6---3-3-3---||
G||----5-5---5-5---7-7---7---3-3-3---||
D||----7-7---7-7---7-7---7---0-5-5---||
A||--0-----0-----0-----0---0-------0-||
E||----------------------------------||

That riff deserves an entire thread

wow its incredible

hes very fond of minor chords, especially a minor, it turns up alot in still life

it still boggles my mind to this day that they use the fucking GT-8s for distortion....

i've played with one for HOURS and haven't been able to get an acceptable tone. Especially not compared to the distortion from the Hughes and Kettner Switchblade it's connected to

they do the job dont they, they use them on the albums?

solid body guitars never give me good tone, i really would like to buy an archtop semi hollow, such a warm, thick tone

rig.jpg

OH HELL YEAH! *goes to try out those exact setting on his GH* :D:D

Cock, I got the start of Lotus Eater wrong on my y/t version!

I'll have to re-start the tab now......

Is the chord given in the tab, but not one Mike plays, which I think is a regular Am. It's the same chord, it's not the exact same notes, but the wrong fingering when there's visual evidence makes the tab wrong, yeah? Especially when it's easier to play the original way

i play a minor like this, its fairly easy, and its movable to different keys:

x
x

edit, well a minor 7th. just kill that G

are you sure its wrong? it might be just the same notes with different fingering

Ok, the first chord I think is technically the same, except I play different notes in that chord.

So I suppose it's still acceptable though. It's just every time a video comes out with MA playing Lotus Eater, I find parts where I've been playing it wrong! It makes me sad....