Mikael Åkerfeldt's English flubs

To be the coach of the english soccer team I think Sven-Göran Eriksson talks quite bad english:)

BTW: The lyrics to the In flames albums Lunar Strain, Jester race, Black-ash.. and Whoracle are great!(colony is quite good)
But I can't stand most of the lyrics on the new album Clayman. I'm a bit worried about Reroute to remain(the upcoming) with titles like Trigger. Anyway, I hope it'll be good.(and damn it will kick ass:))

The on that makes me laugh is "The emorry is sparkling like a morning star" from Orchid.

Not in any nasty way, you understand. It just tickles me.

Originally posted by MetalSlime

On to things relative to the topic, I really like that line in Serenity Painted Death that goes "Saw her fading, blank stare into me". It's cool, because he uses "stare" as a verb and a noun here. I'm not making fun here like earlier, I really think this is a great poetic device.

If you transpose it to "proper grammar", the line would probably be "I saw her fading, blank stare(n) stare(v) into me.", but that's redundant, so he just throws it all in one "stare". I think that's just cool. I wish I was clever like that.

I agree. I wish Akerfeldt would talk more about his lyrics. He seems to view them as unimportant, but he's a really amazing poet (and, uh, I guess he doesn't even know it. :D )

And, since when is the "C" in "scythe" silent? I didn't even know that.

Originally posted by the_joy_of_grief
I once had an assistant teacher who repeatedly messed up the Vs and Ws, like "Vhats wrong with the wideo recorder?":rolleyes:
There's also a lot of people who can't pronounce the R and pronounce a W instead of it. Anyone who's seen Monty Python's Life Of Brian should know what I mean...

What I also notice is that a lot of people on this board who actually are from a country where English is the national language, make a lot of silly mistakes like "Than I went home", when it should be "Then I went...". Or also the other way around "This album's better then that one", where then should be than.

Or "I don't like it's colour", which should be "I don't like its colour".

Especially that latter is a pretty "forgivable" one though, its kinda tricky... :rolleyes: but it just suprises me that people with English as their mother tongue make that kind of "simple" mistakes...

BTW the_joy_of_grief: what's with all the travelling, now you're in friggin' India??!! You should change your username to 'Nomad'! ;)

But there's already a Nomad and besides, Joy of Grief has a crazy twist to it. I've noticed the word "what" gets used in place of "then or than".

Originally posted by ~Zeanra~
If you put a potato in your mouth, you speak the language what they speak in Netherlands.

No, I believe that´s danish.:D

Originally posted by Morningrise
I have noticed a lot more than just Swedish singers pronouncing V's as W's. "My dark WISIONS of Wiolence!! AARRGGGHH!!!"

It seems that norwegian singers tend to do that as well.
Listen to Dimmu Borgir - Blessings Upon the Throne of Tyranny.
At the chorus , when Shagrath sings " The Enfeebled provides the fool..." , you'll hear " The Enfeebled proWides the fool".

Originally posted by ~Zeanra~
If you put a potato in your mouth, you speak the language what they speak in Netherlands.
In your throat you mean? When you put it in your mouth and try to talk you're more likely to sound like a girl giving head who tries to talk without taking the lolly-pop out of her mouth! :lol: :lol:

By the way, for your information, the language they speak in the Netherlands is called "Dutch". :rolleyes:

Proud I are in writting I am never.?:not spelling grammar unrightly) on forum about Opeth i do discussing in (post on it, as I did do a lot now.(

...and that be much, for" saying, you ain't matching writting skill to mine 'I' had , for A on english is what I'd get.!! (beet that)

Remembering guy's: "Old school am rocking the boat,! we is tr00.!'

If you transpose it to "proper grammar", the line would probably be "I saw her fading, blank stare(n) stare(v) into me.", but that's redundant, so he just throws it all in one "stare". I think that's just cool. I wish I was clever like that.

I think that's cool. I did that once and was cool for like 5 minutes. The line went "Stranger (noun/adj) - my need for you makes this world - stranger (noun/adj)" The need can make the world stranger, or the need can MAKE the world. :p Anyway, this thread is interesting. Languages are interesting. I am also learning Swedish cuz I have net-friends who are in Sweden who write stuff so I have to learn what it means. I do fine at writing but I can't talk or understand worth a smörja... or something. Opeth rules! Can't wait for the new CDs!

Originally posted by MadTinus
In your throat you mean? When you put it in your mouth and try to talk you're more likely to sound like a girl giving head who tries to talk without taking the lolly-pop out of her mouth! :lol: :lol:

By the way, for your information, the language they speak in the Netherlands is called "Dutch". :rolleyes:
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound impolite or anything :lol: :p

I think almost all singers mispronounce words. some for the sake of 'art' and some simply because they don't know how to pronounce them correctly. This is why I usually don't really pay much attention to it.

However, in Godhead's Lament's chorus, the word 'perplexion' should have been spelled 'perplexity'. I don't know why this always bugs me, but it does...