Mikael Stanne vs Pop(e): new interview

I consider myself an atheist but I don´t really think of religion as an downright bad thing. I´ve sometimes felt that it would be great to believe in something that firmly, as a comfort in hard times, and I definetly think that religion does help people.

Wanting to remove religion becouse of the wars it has caused makes as much sense as wanting to remove the differences in looks between turks, italians, swedes, japanese and eskimoes. People that are in power will use any difference between people if they want to create a conflict, I don´t think that the 30-years was in europe wouldn´t have been there if religion was out of the picture, it´s the economic motives that drives nations against each other.

Makaan is right. Also, I wanted to add to my and his post: Religion is manmade to beginn with, hence it makes no sense to start with religion as the "bad" aspect that has to get rid of. All that "bad" behaviour comes from the human nature. Religion is something that people needed, and still need. Some smart guy created it, was very successful (so there was a "market" for this). And today some very smart guys propagate, represent and keep the ideas and concepts alive and it still works. In fact, all the different religions are very similar: A prophet, places of worship, rituals, traditions etc.

My answer to the three questions La rocque posted are:
"There are no answers, it is all pretty much without sense."
And this is scary and sometimes very depressing.
But I think that I have my own way of dealing with it, it is maybe a bit spiritual, but it does not come close to any of the explanations religions have to offer. However, mankind likes to have answers presented, hence the success of religions.
But to confuse greed, jealousy, a strive to dominate others and all the other things that lead to wars and conflicts with religion is the simple way out. Just like religion is...

And we take and take from the earth, our ultimate mother and home, and give nothing back.
Don't some of us give back our dead bodies and thus feed worms and other living things? :p

I kind of agree with you in what you say, but there is one question. Are air, ocean, earth and sun enough to create life? How can anyone explain this phenomenon and how it came to be?

Point 1: of course I agree with the idea that religion should not be used as a means to foster private or political interests, especially when this involves harming others. Incidentally, in the Judeo-Christian tradition this is also explicitely prohibited by religion itself, ie one should not take God's name in vain. Holy wars should be strictly kept within the confines of Manowar albums.

Point 2:

I think that the reason why most people hold on to some sort of religion is because they don't feel worthy enough to go by their own standard, nor strong enough to face reality on their own, so they resort to following the ideals of a "higher power", and ask for its aid with everyday problems.

With all due respect, I am under the impression that this is fairly simplistic. It may well apply to someone, but again, if you read the Gospels (I do not comment on, say, the Qu'ran because I don't know anything, so I will refer to what I know) you will find that the yardstick of religious experience has to be referred to the self, not others. In other words, if you are religious and find that you are using God as a crutch - not in the sense of entrusting yourself to His power, but rather in the sense of a feel-good device - you should ask yourself why is that and wonder whether it is the correct way of relating to divinity. If you go by the book, you will probably find that it is not. And you will try to rectify it.

This said, I am sure that religion creates everyday problems rather than solving them. Take it from a Catholic who tries to relate to the whole of the secularised world. It's just not easy, what with all the condescension, the puzzlement and sometimes the proper discrimination one is subjected to. My boss at work once told me - in a serious way - "It doesn't make sense, you are a smart person and still you are a Catholic" (he also does that for my political opinioni, literally leaving no stone unturned). Now, do unto others and all, so I didn't smash something on his head :p , but it's not a whole lot of fun and it does border on mobbing.

I also refute the idea that religion is for the weak who do not think they can stand on their own two feet. Did JP2 look like a no-backbone kind of man to you? Now some of you are going to say that of course Popes are on the other side of the divide and they're just in for the power. But take run-of-the-mill people; think of the simple priest Andrea Santoro, who was killed by an Islamic fundamentalist in Turkey just for being a priest. I don't think that the priest was too stupid to understand that he was risking life and limb, but still he stayed where he was until he was shot. No backbone? What about Father Kolbe? What about the countless priests and nuns persecuted and executed by the Nazis, by the Soviets, by Idi Amin for heaven's sake? Still no backbone?

As for religious people, sometimes when they ask their favorite target of faith for help, they get it. It can't really be said if there's "something" out there watching for them, or if it's the power of their own mind what obscurely solves their problems, but it is for certain that many things that can't be explained would not have happened if the people to whom those things occurred had not been religious.

This is a very interesting point. I am not sure about how this aspect works either. I will be back later with an attempt at rationalization, now I need to go.

I, for one, believe there's something out there, but I do not consider myself as a believer of any established religion.

I respect this stand, but personally I am afraid of my own stupidity. The Catholic Church is still occasionally mistaken on theology, ethics etc after 2,000 years of relentless study and experience. And I should do better in 29 years of life, mainly concentrated on other stuff? Not likely.

Great post hyena! I agree, it is wrong to suggest believers are weak, not able to walk alone etc. I know people that are strong and successful, and others that hide, and try to avoid uncomfortable situations in their lives with the result of not being able to evolve and make progress. ("Look at the shell that is you, empty, brittle, weak").
Most successful people I know are believers to a certain extent, - they are successful because they have an open mind, and they are able to reflect on their lifes. People that omit such from their minds limit themselves and this causes more harm to them than they know - that's the ironic part.

What I find a bit ironic is that -if a may again refer to Jon from Dissection and his worshippers - these people always claim to be so strong and how weak chistianity is. The truth is, Jon was obviously very sensitive and it's not unlikely he suffered from depression. Dealing with the regrets, the pain he caused his family and the relatives of the victim and the harsh life in prison is probably not an easy task to do and so he got into this anti-cosmic stuff - to be able to cope with the situation and - drum roll - to overcome his own weakness. I mean, he was not stupid, I think he was an intelligent person. Obviously he came to the conclusion that he pretty much fucked up his life and the life of others. At this stage, there were two ways to go. He has chosen the wrong way: Eight years in prison - a fair deal of time to study something and get educated in a field to be able to make a living after the release. But this takes some guts and strength! He decided to flee from this and get crazy. Still being able to think clearly in some enlightened moments, after his release, he recognized that he missed the second chance and fled from all responsibility by blowing his brains out.
I think this is a nice example of how "strong" these unbelievers are.

The thing is, the strength basically comes from our self-confidence, if one draws this from his belief in a religion - so be it. If a difficult situation occurs, believers tend to think of them as a test sent by god. They don't want to disappoint their god, so they overcome the challenge. Also, because it's their belief that they have been graced with talent and capabilities by god and it is their duty to use them to their full extent. I try do the same, but there is no "God" involved in the closer sense. I overcome challenges because I don't want to disappoint myself, and because overcoming challenges means reaching another, mostly better state. It means evolution and progress. But in all cases, wherever the motivation to show "strength" comes from, one has to do it according to his own abilities.

I know people that do not believe in god, and they claim that they don't need a set of beliefs. These people are the most stubborn *believers* I know, because they are narrow minded and cling to selfmade concepts and perceptions of how things are. They have a very stereotyped way of thinking - it gives them a framework to file and classify the world and all the new information they would not be able to handle otherwise. In fact, they believe a lot without knowing it, and they hold back themselves by their stereotyped thinking.
What I am trying to say is, in my opinion, there is no such thing as unbelievers.

Religion is something that people needed, and still need.

I agree with the former, disagree with the latter. We all know how and why all religions were created: to control people by "explaining" them things they couldn't understand. Religion was, and is, a tool of power. Do as we say, or you'll burn in hell. In historical light this makes perfect sense. However, why should we (limiting "us" to the modern first world for a moment) need any of such anymore? The ancient Egyptians, Greeks, Romans developed very "complete" religious systems, yet no-one believes in their bullshit anymore - even though our culture is largely based on their (religious and non-religious) ways of life. Why do we need to be told what is right or wrong by a priest or somesuch? We are perfectly capable of making our own moral decisions, without fear of some divine punishment, aren't we? We are perfectly capable of finding the things that comfort us when we feel bad, without having to search for some supernatural aid. Aren't we?

Also, I completely disagree with the notion that our ("western") moral values somehow stem directly from the 10 commandments. Every culture that has advanced enough has developed similar moral values sooner or later - regardless of their religious views. It is common sense for a civilized person not to steal, not to kill and not to hump your neighbor's wife - only a person without actual moral values needs to be afraid of hell not to do those crimes. (And, as has been previously told on this forum, the 10 commandments don't actually apply to others than jews anyway - most of you can kill as much as you want, and no god will punish you.)

We can do "good" even if we are not told by some "holy person" what that "good" includes - good is what makes the people around us feel good, and consequently makes us feel good as well. No matter what some god, allah, jesus, pope, priest, buddha, thor, ron hubbard or great Cthulhu might think about our actions.

-Villain

What I am trying to say is, in my opinion, there is no such thing as unbelievers.

Once again, I need to clarify one thing. I have nothing against personal beliefs of any kind. I have everything against organized religions of all kinds. There's a world of difference. The former is rarely harmful to anyone, the latter is rarely harmless to everyone involved.

Jon Nödveidt, by the way, was an extremely religious person in my opinion. He tried to create a stupid cult from his silly personal beliefs. This is where I draw the line. As does Mikael Stanne, apparently.

-Villain

The god Delusion got a massive distribution over here (I mean entire shelves dedicated to it with loads of POS and advertising in book shops and other media stores alike), but I was in the middle of some fictional fantasy drama so didn't pick up a copy. Maybe the athiests are actually winning?

I have loads I want to say, but am Pressed for time now so will make another post later I think.

Exactly. As CS Lewis used to say, stop believing in God and you'll start believing in the United Nations. :p

I will follow Niklas' lead and give a small heads-up on books for those of you who are interested in religion and, of all things, punk rock: click

Also, I completely disagree with the notion that our ("western") moral values somehow stem directly from the 10 commandments. Every culture that has advanced enough has developed similar moral values sooner or later - regardless of their religious views.

Yes, but that does not prove the implication false. Western culture has moral values which we can find mirrored in the Ten Commandments. Clearly this has nothing to do with whether they are a message from God or from the milkman, but the connection is there. The fact that more or less every other civilization has come to similar conclusions is also not a spectacularly strong argument against either the divine origin of the values themselves, or their still bearing weight until this day. Actually, quite the contrary, as it seems fairly easy to imagine a supernatural entity who whispers similar information in the minds of individuals in very different cultures.

But I understand that my opinions are often pretty much just negatory of anti-religious views, while they seldom add anything (since, after all, I'm not a believer myself). So let me try to gently prod the discussion in what I consider a more productive direction.

It's pretty much universally agreed upon that moral values and the strategies for a community's (or the entire species') survival overlap, up to a point. Stressing how prohibiting rape and murder is perfectly rational is unnecessary, in this conversation, because we know it. Religious people do, too, unless they're utterly stupid. Then again, if they're utterly stupid they remain unaware of the implications even if they're not religious, so we're back to square one.
The reason why some remain religious despite agreeing on the biological, physical, and ultimately rational connections between morals and convenience is that they understand God to have been orchestrating the whole mess beforehand, down to all the natural explanations and basic instincts (yes, he directed the movie as well) the human mind can discover and comprehend.

To have this topic go somewhere - besides the usual animosity - we could discuss what non-believers think lies behind the structure of the physical world: is it happenstance? necessity? things are just happening in random directions and humans try to force them into a meaning? on the contrary, things could never be any other way because there are no multiple possibilities, only a single reality?

It is common sense for a civilized person not to steal, not to kill and not to hump your neighbor's wife

Well, it depends on what you call common sense. To me, common sense is when I pick up a plate straight from the oven once, wail and weep in pain nursing my burned fingers, and never do it again. It's "sense", because I learned from experience to avoid unnecessary pain, and it's "common" because everyone who's not short a couple of chromosomes can get there.
With due respect, I wouldn't put all crimes in the above category. Not even most of them. And, while I might feel instinctual aversion towards rape, someone else might not, and I still hope he can find reasons to resist, no matter how appealing it may seem to him.

Sweeping everything under the "if you think about it you'll see it's wrong" carpet is a mistake: it takes far more than a pinch of goodwill and some logic to stick to the rule of never killing anybody, for instance. Conflicting circumstances throughout history gave people reasons to doubt whether killing should be warranted. Systems of beliefs are involved when you have to take a stance about suicide, euthanasia, and hundreds of other issues. In short, it's not math. And while I support a non-religious approach to each and every one of these issues, I don't encourage facing them as if you were an accountant, where the smallest body count always wins.

Religions provide their followers with the codes we all need to determine right or wrong in situations that are far from black and white. A personal set of beliefs aims to achieve the same things, and those among us who have no spiritual beliefs whatsoever do draw their conclusions about good and bad from somewhere else. Somewhere deeper and more elaborate than common sense.

- only a person without actual moral values needs to be afraid of hell not to do those crimes.

Fear of punishment has a similar value in most religions as it does in secular law: it's supposed to be subordinate to an understanding of the reasons why you shouldn't act in a certain way, and it ends up coming to the foreground when the individuals involved are, for lack of a better term, idiots.

This is to say that "Thou shalt not commit adultery, for it maketh thee impure, and also lest the fiery pits of Hell shall scorch thy flesh for eternity" is a lot like "If you fuck your neighbor's wife things are going to be a mess, so please don't. Oh, and by the way, if you do I'll force you to pay alimony through the nose". You might as well say that only a person without actual moral values needs to be afraid of going to jail not to commit crimes. Again: idiots!

We can do "good" even if we are not told by some "holy person" what that "good" includes

Christianity contends that God and the set of values the Church calls good existed before said Church, and it was therefore possible to do good even without anyone telling you. Furthermore, it is nowadays possible for a stranded heathen on the island of Buggerall to do good without even suspecting the existence of the clergy. The point you want to criticize here, the point you really want to criticize here (I think), is that religions assume "good" is an absolute they alone know inside and out, and everyone else who does good stumbles into it, as it were, by accident.

If you've waited until now to read something unbeliever-ish, I'll give you this: a merciful and just God would not allow this diatribe to take place again on this forum. ;)

I dont believe in god at all.

But i am baptized because in Belgium, most of the people still are because of Tradition and not because of personal beliefs.

I grew up in a small village, went to the small school in the village for half of my school education. Going to church was a way to meet people in the village. Some older people organised once a month, a special celebration where the kids presented things in the church. Sometimes, we went for a walk or did a BBQ. We used to go because off the rehearsals and all, because thats the only thing that was organised for the youth in my village. It was a place where you could meet other kids, and have fun.
I think that most of us never really believed in god, but just went there because of the activities.

Personally, i never believed in god. Of course i asked myself "is there anyone out there?" "Why are we here?" and all that stuff. But i couldnt find a proper answer in the religion. And i didnt like at all the mentality of most of the people who regulary go to church people. They were hypocrites.

To me, all the religion seems like its prefabricated.And all the christians feast dates are recycled from pagan feasts. And the story of Jesus also haslots of things in common with older gods. Even the name sounds close to the name of an old Indian god.
Taliesin: could you post the link tothat article about Mythras we read the other day, if you still have it?

Maybe after all there was someone called Jesus, he was a good man, and helped people (but no miracles or whatsoever).He impressed the people that lived at the same time he did,and maybe they wrote stories/books about him. And then i got all exagerated (like all the stories ever gets, when they are old,and when lots of "i have heard that..." are reported). And the people started to admire what he did and religion was born. Who knows?

Rahvin: Just a short reply as I'm about to go out. There are two discussions going on in here, and I deem them separate.

The first is about "is religion necessary for modern society?" and the second is about "is there something out there?" - my previous post was made completely to answer the first, while your (otherwise very interesting) reply was primarily from the viewpoint of the latter.

I'm not trying to argue whether or not there might be a god (anymore - I used to do that a lot ten years ago); I'm arguing there's no more sociological reason for the existence of a complex system of religion that causes more harm than it does good.

Unless you feel these two issues are somehow inseparable ("there must be religion because there might be a god"), I'd suggest we tackle them separately as well, to avoid unnecessary confusion.

I'll get back on the crime/morals-issue later this weekend, there's plenty of stuff I've read about the subject and pondered lately.

-Villain

I am not as eloquent as rahvin, and this is now is my answer mainly to Villains postings (have to digest rahvins post before I can comment on it, if I can)

Villain, I respect and understand your point. In fact this is my opinion to a certain extent. But let me paint my differentiated picture:
As some religions are today as succeessful as they used to be, I cannot agree, that they are not needed anymore. Obviously they are needed by large crowd of people, otherwise religions would be extinct. As mentioned in my previous post, to be religious is *inherent* in mankind. Paganism, satanism, judaism, no matter what one calls it just is there because people obviously need it, because mankind is there. Mankind invented it, for a reason. I agree that it used to be more necessary and it eventually had a positive effect in influencing the way mankind developed. It is not as urgent as it used to be. Still, I know people that need religion.
Take a funeral as an example. Would you like to be disposed in the trash after your death (hygienic issues aside), or does it offer some relief to be celebrated during a ceremony?
People need ceremonies and traditions - *organized* religions offer this. Again, there is a market for such things, it's as simple as that.
It does offer a lot of help for many people, and we should respect that. I doubt the sense of community and the common sense you mention is something that is just there. It developed over the ages and religion has had its effect on it.
If one needs to exalt him self above believers by thinking (read: believing) he is stronger than them because he needs no aid - and this makes him strong, he is a believer already... (no offense, just my "belief" :heh: )

I am as well rather sceptical about the organized, dogmantic approach of organized religions. One, however has to keep a mature and independent mind about this - even as believer. In fact, the strictest dogmas issued by the leaders - lets say the Vatican - are not "executed" vigorously because even believers think for themselves sometimes (oh yes, they do). Take homosexuality as an example: We know Vatican thinks this is wrong, sick, and unholy. Still, if a homeless, HIV-infected homosexual (excuse this blatant cliche), seeks shelter in a church, doss-house or whatever charitable service, he sure will get it. Even if some pope or conservative priest wants to demonize these people. Because it is the duty of charitable services to do so - and they have to do so because it is organized and their dogma! This organized religion makes sure, that the poorest of our society have something to relate to - in addition to social services offered by the state. Religions, in general, preach to respect and treat the other individual accordingly, and this is something I find very positive.

Unless you feel these two issues are somehow inseparable ("there must be religion because there might be a god"), I'd suggest we tackle them separately as well, to avoid unnecessary confusion.

I'm in two minds about the possibility to separate the issues. If there is a God, then trying to figure out what it is and what it wants and why it has been sleeping on my couch might benefit from some sort of scholarly structure, in much the same way as figuring out everything there is to know about elephants might benefit from regular meetings of the Wildlife Protection Society. Therefore, if I accept the possibility that a God exists (and I'm not going to leave you hanging with bated breath: I do), then I give my personal go-ahead to religions to try and help make some sense out of the whole thing, while hoping all the while that they don't kill too many people in the process, as it seems pretty unnecessary.

However, I'll try to focus on the social relevance of religion in itself, regardless of whether one of them is mostly right or they're all completely wrong.

My main idea is the one I already expressed above (and you probably didn't have time to comment on), i.e., religion offers a system of values we can use to determine what's good and bad. If you believe in their God, chances are you like the system they're offering. If you don't, pick another or make up your own or do without. Without a God, I mean, because I don't think you can do without a system of values, unless you're stupid and therefore need to be told what to think anyway.

Is religion necessary? By all means, no.
Is there a reason for it still existing? Yes. It's a natural product of certain beliefs. You can reject them and choose others and you'll have no need for religion in your life, never, ever. But if you embrace those beliefs, you're likely to gravitate towards the idea that the institution is a useful, worthy appendix.

Maybe you feel - as I do - that contemplating the starry sky on a moonless night pondering about the limits of time and space is enough to satisfy your desire for all things spiritual, but it's been said before that neither of us is a Christian believer. Some want to congregate and join their hands and sing sad mantras in Old Latin when a relative of theirs dies, for instance. Such social activities related to one's beliefs intrinsically call for the creation of organized groups of men. Gathering together on this basis is the foundation of what religions, to the core, are. If you're ok with this but don't want the proselitism, the scaring-toddlers-in-the-cradle bits, the burning-people-at-the-stake bits, the trample-the-infidels-under-my-camel bits, the hey-let's-become-stockholders-and-buy-fancy-cars bits, then you should correct your aim and say: religion is fine, but I hate the widespread hypocrisy.

@didl: just out of curiosity, can you please give details of your own stance on the subject? i gather from what you say that you are not a christian, but neither an atheist. agnostic maybe? i feel that everyone participating in the discussion has stated their personal beliefs either now or in the past, but i do not know about you. :)

Religion, as I see it, has one essential mark, it is more concerned with the other-worldly than with the here and now, and where it is concerned with the here and now, it is only by interpreting it according to the otherworldly. This has various interesting consequences:
It is ultimately invincible against criticism, you can always come up with a god having twisted things in such a way, as to make it appear like it is, while things really are different. Obviously god placed the dinosaur bones in the ground and made radio-carbon method work the way it does. To test our faith, probably.

It's also a free-form fantasy, anything you can come up with can be religiouslized by making other people believe in it and then let good old institutionalization do it's job.

Then, there is only one world, there must also be only one other-world (or better: over-world). While in the world, there exists the option of just checking how it is, by looking at stuff, (which may sometimes turn out to be a rather complicated endeavor) if there is ever a dispute between people about matters of fact. Since the over-world cannot be looked at like that (indeed, it seems, that it looked quite differently to those few people who proclaim to have seen it) there are only two ways left to settle conflicts about it's nature: Persuasion by reason and persuasion by force. Now, how many people have at least a basic ability and willingnes to apply theoretical reason to their believes? 1%?

The next point is close in concept: Belief, when called into doubt, needs to be ascertained. Because the other-worldly is so ephemeral, we cannot use any of the usual methods (like looking, asking, touching,...) to ascertain ourselves about it. Since men crave nothing so vigorously as certainty, the religious person needs to make himself certain by other ways. One good way is to not be sorrounded by people who contradict your believes, another is daily rehearsal: if you keep on telling yourself how it is for long enough, you might just stop doubting it. The best is probably to stick around people whose casual everyday interpretation of life fit's yours.
The good thing is, if you are in that kind of situation, where your believes are constantly reinforced, you need never be worried by contradictions in your believes, you always have a safety net in place when faced with such unpleasentries.

Closely related to uncertainty is fear, and fear lurks at the heart of each and every religion, be it fear of nature, fear of death, fear of divine punishment, fear of exclusion, fear of uncertainty, fear of fear,...
Religion begins with fear of the unknown and it usually ends with fear of the imagined. Gods, after all, live to be apeased, offered sacrifice and obeyed. The religions of the age of kings and emperors have cast their gods as kings and emperors, the religious of the age of self-agrandization have cast "god" as something a human can become. Scientology is clearly a cult for the capitalist, focussing on the individuum and how their usual behavior is nice and moral and how they can become superhuman. In this day, what matters is not obediance but success. Tada, along come religions that exploit this fear: "Without us, you will not be successfull, loser!" they say.
But it goes on, are you afraid that there is no answer? The esoterics bookshelf at amazon.com has buckets of answers for buckets of money. Individualistic? Not a problem, you can pick from a wide selection of truths your personal, individual set. Guaranteed to be shared by no one else.
From the moment you get told the stories of redemption and damnation in childhood, they instill in you a fear of being left out, a fear of hell, of good god. A nagging fear of something beyond, something you just can't touch. How do you conquer the fear that there is a monster under you bed? By finally working up the courage to look there. But you can't look at god and so the nagging fear remains, maybe he does hate fags...
Better to at least be certain...

One final point in regards to the other-worldliness of religion. As Nietzsche would put it: It detracts from real life. From the only thing you realy have. Why turn your attention so gravely towards unclear images of a maybe-beyond if all you need is in you and in your life. Why worry about what god thinks if you haven't come to grasps with what you think? Why worry wether your morals are ultimatly unversally true and not just say: "This is the person I am, these are the things I do and that I feel all right doing".

As a post scriptum I should like to add that this was all about religions as concepts, as ideas if you so like. Other things could be said about religions as social phenomenons and one could also focus on specific religious believes in particular. Also, this is not meant to be about religious people. They are people like everyone else and everyone, including me of course, believes in a hell of a lot things that are unproven or problematic. It is just that religion puts a certain spin on people's believes. I do not mean to say that religious believes are to be condemned because they are "merely believes". I would attack them because of their specifically religious qualities, to be more exact, because of the combination of other-worldliness and seriousness they have. A most bitter combination it is.

hyena, thanks for your interest.
The facts:
- I am not baptized
- I was raised without any religious beliefs expect what one gets fed by
media, society and primary school.
- I did not attend the religious class in highschool.

Yes, I am rather an agnostic with respect to my "core-belief" and obviously I try to look for the good (or what I consider good) in religions and if it appeals to me i try to incorporate it into my philosophy and life-style.
What I do not like is worshipping someone or something - I find it stupid and pathetic - the sole imagination of kneeling down in front of an altar or a cruzifix to make the sign of the cross makes me cringe.
However, my girlfriends family is fully into it (they are from croatia) and they do their thing and they let me have my views on it - mutual respect and understanding. As long as I don't get offensive one can even discuss the topic with them and they are very cool.
I do not believe in god, nor do I think there's some controlling force, however I do not refuse this idea entirely. I am amazed how a spider knows how to build her web and I really wonder where such knowledge might come from. I don't like the answer: It was God, or some supernatural force, but on the other hand it is beyond my imagination that this just happened and is a result of random evolution. But I don't like the finished concept of a God that is responsible for all this. I used to be atheistic, but it changed to agnostic.
However, I still think that religion is rather man-made to create a framework instead of thinking that god or something supernatural indeed exists and that religion is just a way of showing respect for that force.
I have respect for the religions and the people that need it, but I just cannot accept a religion as a whole because I want to have my own way of life.
With respect to this aspect, I even carry some significant (modern) satanistic views: (personal development and achievements come in first, then community and others)
But I do think that religion does have a positive influence on our society. I highly regard the idea of community and mutual respect and understanding, but I only take it so far as I feel necessary. In fact, in extreme situations, everyone is closer to himself than to others, and I am devoid of religious obligations to deny this.
Then again I am very impressed by PJP2 to forgive that guy that wanted to assassinate him.
After all, I am a bit of a superstitious person in that respect: I do think it makes sense to be a nice guy, because it makes me happy and others around me benefit from this as well. I believe this leads to a fulfilled life in a longer term. It makes no sense to be a bad guy - as proven by the destiny of Saddam