Mikael, what songs are your most proud of?

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
It's quite difficult to say. Some songs are my faves because of a 3 second passage that just ties it all together so nice, like the song "Blackwater park" has a real smooth passage that I just think is fantastic! Other than that "Isolation years" and "Hope leaves" are my fave calm songs I guess. "Harvest" is really good too I think. That guitar solo is my best ever! If I may say so myself....

"Deliverance" is one of the ultimate Opeth songs I believe, "April ethereal" is nice..."The moor" definately has it's moments but the mix dropout is so annoying for me to listen to. "Benighted" is nice but solo's too low in the mix...overall "Still life" has too much reverb on the drums but the songs are killer...probably one of my fave Lp's! "Ghost of perdition" is definately up there although I remember at first listen I thought it was like a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas...love it now tho'!

From the very early material I'd have to say "Under the weeping moon" since we've been playing it a lot lately and...gosh, "The night and the silent water". I need to change my profile thingie on the webpage. This song is very emotional to play live, on record I don't really like it, but live it just kinda overflows with emotion. Makes my happy actually, I always believed in that song but was so dissapointed with the recording.

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike

^^ it was HE peering through the looking-glaaaasssss!!!!! :kickass:

bullocks Mike,...April Ethereal isn't "nice".......it's hands-down the most perfect example of Opeth's brutality, and beauty. (and definitely wins the "Eye-widening first riff" award)

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
It's quite difficult to say. Some songs are my faves because of a 3 second passage that just ties it all together so nice, like the song "Blackwater park" has a real smooth passage that I just think is fantastic! Other than that "Isolation years" and "Hope leaves" are my fave calm songs I guess. "Harvest" is really good too I think. That guitar solo is my best ever! If I may say so myself....

"Deliverance" is one of the ultimate Opeth songs I believe, "April ethereal" is nice..."The moor" definately has it's moments but the mix dropout is so annoying for me to listen to. "Benighted" is nice but solo's too low in the mix...overall "Still life" has too much reverb on the drums but the songs are killer...probably one of my fave Lp's! "Ghost of perdition" is definately up there although I remember at first listen I thought it was like a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas...love it now tho'!

From the very early material I'd have to say "Under the weeping moon" since we've been playing it a lot lately and...gosh, "The night and the silent water". I need to change my profile thingie on the webpage. This song is very emotional to play live, on record I don't really like it, but live it just kinda overflows with emotion. Makes my happy actually, I always believed in that song but was so dissapointed with the recording.

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike

In mist she was standing is the best

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike

Black%20Coffee.jpg
godi2a.jpg

TNATSW has made its way from zero to hero. Nice to hear Mike's response.
Harvest has a great solo indeed, actually I've never paid too much attention on that one before. Still my favourite mellow song is To rid the Disease, easily.
I like the soloing best on Wreath and Deliverance, mostly because I could never ever write that kind of stuff. To bid You Farewell has a great solo too.
The opening songs of the concept albums are impressive indeed, great storytelling there and The Moor is the ultimate Opeth song IMO.

Powers said:

Umm... Blackwater....dog?

Dammit, I'm just not good at sharades :lol:

Anyhow, good to see TEH Mikael himself speak, only... GoP sounded to you like 'a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas'? Shit... and I always thought they are brilliantly linked together... :zombie:

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike
shoot, im busted:D

hey dude:D

:Wreath: said:
Umm... Blackwater....dog?

Dammit, I'm just not good at sharades :lol:

Anyhow, good to see TEH Mikael himself speak, only... GoP sounded to you like 'a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas'? Shit... and I always thought they are brilliantly linked together... :zombie:

Read my first post.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:

Thanks for asking!
Cheers
Mike

Awesome Mike, that was interesting hearing what you personally believe to be your best work!! Cheers:headbang:
On a side note, I just want to thank you guys personally for comming down and playing Auckland. Was an amazing experience for me. I managed to have a quick chat to you, Peter and Mendez and you all seem like such down to earth nice guys. How can such brutality come from such a group of nice guys? Well thanks again, hope you enjoyed your time in NZ:kickass:

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:
Some songs are my faves because of a 3 second passage that just ties it all together so nice, like the song "Blackwater park" has a real smooth passage that I just think is fantastic!

Mike - first, thanks for replying. Second, it's your call and your show, but may I make a humble vote to keep "Blackwater Park" a concert staple. I have been listening to metal since '86 or so as I am an old fucker myself - and that song is the most amazing metal song in the world. It got me hooked on you guys, and I simply don't tire of hearing it.

Third - Curious about the smooth passage in BWP......which part are you referring to?

Thanks again.

i think we all need to sign a petition to somehow fix the production on still life. i would seriously pay boatloads of money for that.

"Ghost of perdition" is definately up there although I remember at first listen I thought it was like a freakout explosion of fucked up ideas...love it now tho'!

Ghost of Perdition is a fucking masterpiece, I was gutted the rest of the album wasnt as experimental. My two favourite Opeth tracks are the most experimental ones; the other being By The Pain I See In Others. Experimentation is what is moving Opeth further beyond themselves in recent years, an entire album in this vein would be my fucking bible.

ualaw99 said:
Mike - first, thanks for replying. Second, it's your call and your show, but may I make a humble vote to keep "Blackwater Park" a concert staple. I have been listening to metal since '86 or so as I am an old fucker myself - and that song is the most amazing metal song in the world. It got me hooked on you guys, and I simply don't tire of hearing it.

Third - Curious about the smooth passage in BWP......which part are you referring to?

Thanks again.

yea good call. BWP is an Opeth concert must. I personally reckon it should be the closer instead of Demon/Deliverance. Also curious as too the smooth passage Mike talks about......