MIKE PORTNOY LEAVES DREAM THEATER!!!

Awesome. I'd love for this to usher in a more tasteful, elegant version of DT for an album or two -- as seen on I&W and Awake. Portnoy brings a childish, low-brow aspect to the DT stew, it used to be balanced out by Kevin Moore back in the old days, but Mike's influence just grew and grew and overtook the elegance of the band ever since KevMo left. Have fun getting tattoos with Avenged, Mike, perhaps now DT can produce something beautiful and intelligent again.

Amen Jesus!!! Couldn't have said it better.

I got into DT around 2001 and have since compiled the past and present albums. Chronologically, the last thing I really enjoyed from them was the complete (disc 2) "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" song.

I've never really grown into the newer harsher style, especially the Portnoy vox, so if this may signal a return to the old days, then I'm happy. Sadly, if the bad is churning out so much material and are ready to record come Jan2011, I'm thinking it'll be much of what we've heard from the past 3-4 albums.

I got into DT around 2001 and have since compiled the past and present albums. Chronologically, the last thing I really enjoyed from them was the complete (disc 2) "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" song.

I've never really grown into the newer harsher style, especially the Portnoy vox, so if this may signal a return to the old days, then I'm happy. Sadly, if the bad is churning out so much material and are ready to record come Jan2011, I'm thinking it'll be much of what we've heard from the past 3-4 albums.
Exactly. I don't really like much of anything past 6DOIT disc 2 either.

That is exactly what I was saying to my firend at work couple hours ago when we were talking about MP's departure :lol:
Disc 2 of Six Digrees of Inner Turbulence is just phenomenal....

This is seismic? You're depressed? Why? This will probably be a one or maybe two album break for the guy, and as for "oh dear, WHO could EVER replace him?!?!?!" RELAX. There's probably a hundred good drummers out there who have used his template as they built their entire repertoire. If anything, all this means is WHEN (not if) he returns, the album following that will be better.

Awesome. I'd love for this to usher in a more tasteful, elegant version of DT for an album or two -- as seen on I&W and Awake. Portnoy brings a childish, low-brow aspect to the DT stew, it used to be balanced out by Kevin Moore back in the old days, but Mike's influence just grew and grew and overtook the elegance of the band ever since KevMo left. Have fun getting tattoos with Avenged, Mike, perhaps now DT can produce something beautiful and intelligent again.
I always took what you call "childish, low-brow" as the "fun" part of the character of the band, and a useful counterbalance to the pretentiousness that progressive music risks when taken too seriously. There's a spirit to watching them live or watching interactions off stage that can be a lot of fun and more approachable instead of dry and cold, and it always seemed to be mostly coming from Mike's influence.

- Chris

Well said. I could not agree more.

I always took what you call "childish, low-brow" as the "fun" part of the character of the band, and a useful counterbalance to the pretentiousness that progressive music risks when taken too seriously. There's a spirit to watching them live or watching interactions off stage that can be a lot of fun and more approachable instead of dry and cold, and it always seemed to be mostly coming from Mike's influence.

- Chris

Agreed...

DT Jesus' take, (above), is SPOT ON.... excellent take. I agree 100%.

Portnoy leaving DT is like Peart leaving Rush or Holopainen leaving Nightwish. Devastating and sad. DT just dropped a notch or two.

Well, I've stopped being a DT fan because most of their music simply sucked in the past few years. Formulaic, boring, shredding and noise. Portnoy is a partial psycho, and his voice is bad. His drumming is bland too. But I don't think they will ever be great again anyway, as they are hooked on the revenue drug now, instead of the music drug. These guys haven't been creative in 4 or 5 albums. The last time I actually paid money to see them a few years ago, I nearly left half way through. Noise, screeching, shredding....

I agree, Dream Theater has sucked since 6 degrees. I thought that they would be great with Jordan, but instead I'm feeling like maybe he brought slot of wankery to the table. Portnoy was a genius through the 1st 3 discs, but his playing became very sterile and safe in the past 10 years or so. LaBrie gets slot of flak for doing what he's always done, being solid in studio and being hit and miss live. The next wave of Prog is coming soon!

MIKE WHO? DREAM WHO? THE NEW KINGS OF PROG ROCK HAVE ARRIVED ... AND THEY ARE SEVENTH WONDER!

I totally second that, SEVENTH WONDER will be the new King of ProgRock.

Now the big question, Who will replace him in DT? I have some guess so add yours as you see fit.

Virgil Donati

Johnny Mac

Rafael Pensado (Portnoy commented on how much the guys in DT liked him)

Am I the only one who thinks his statement wasn't classy at all? I get that he's upset and that it's a huge decision, and I'd never dispute Portnoy's role "running" Dream Theater in recent years. But it's not HIS band. He formed it along with four other guys, two of whom are still in the band. Why should he expect those guys to surrender their livelihoods just because he's not into it anymore and would rather play with Avenged Sevenfold? He sounded almost like Timo T. when he quit Stratovarius.

Dream Theater's official statement was WAY classier, and was respectful to Portnoy as well.

That said, it's really hard to imagine DT without him. I didn't love his songwriting in recent years, and flat-out hated his attempts at singing, but he's going to be really hard to replace. I think it could give the band some much needed new perspective though. I feel like the only "outside" influence in their sound came from whatever band Mike was into at the time.

As for Mike's replacement, why not Casey Grillo? He's got some free time now.