Progressive Nation '08 (Dream Theater related)

Just as long as DT does not keep the same set list for most shows like they did on this past summer's tour. ugh. I'm afraid this tour will be the same way, since it's another tour/festival...and not our loved 'Evening With' shows.

Change it up Mike! You've spoiled me!

I thought they wanted to showcase prog, not hardcore and death metal. You would think that for all the great prog bands the world has to offer (many of whom have toured with them overseas), there would be one of them on this bill. I just don't get it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

I thought they wanted to showcase prog, not hardcore and death metal. You would think that for all the great prog bands the world has to offer (many of whom have toured with them overseas), there would be one of them on this bill. I just don't get it.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

You've obviously never even listened to 3 if you think they're "hardcore and death metal."

Who's to say that prog can't be applied to the more extreme sides of metal? Wouldn't that be limiting the genre and go against everything "prog" means? IMO, the more extreme prog bands, bands like Sigh, are the only ones doing anything progressive today. Dream Theater ripoff bands may be considered "progressive," but they aren't really "progressing" their sound, if that makes sense. They're just sticking to a proven formula. The extreme bands are the ones doing the innovation.

Hey you hijacked my thread! LOL, either that or we both posted it at the same time????

It's ok, just as long as the word gets out!

IMO, the more extreme prog bands, bands like Sigh, are the only ones doing anything progressive today. Dream Theater ripoff bands may be considered "progressive," but they aren't really "progressing" their sound, if that makes sense. They're just sticking to a proven formula. The extreme bands are the ones doing the innovation.

So is it truly impossible to try to create new sounds and to be progressive without being an extreme metal band now? I agree that the 'DT clone' definition of progressive doesn't make sense, but there are still bands out there right now doing innovative things who are not 'extreme' in any way. If all those bands are extreme, aren't they also sticking to a proven formula? I really don't think that the level of progressiveness is in any way tied to how extreme or brutal the music is.

That aside, this tour is going to be awesome. :kickass:

So is it truly impossible to try to create new sounds and to be progressive without being an extreme metal band now? I agree that the 'DT clone' definition of progressive doesn't make sense, but there are still bands out there right now doing innovative things who are not 'extreme' in any way. If all those bands are extreme, aren't they also sticking to a proven formula? I really don't think that the level of progressiveness is in any way tied to how extreme or brutal the music is.

Level of progressiveness and being "extreme" don't have a direct correlation, but I haven't really heard of any "traditional" prog bands doing anything new in a while. Any recommendations?

It's very possible to be innovative and progressive while sticking to the more well-known definition of prog. No way was I trying to say that in order to be prog you have to be extreme, that would be completely stupid on my part. The original post that I quoted pretty much said that it's impossible to have progressive hardcore and death metal though, which is equally as stupid.

Level of progressiveness and being "extreme" don't have a direct correlation, but I haven't really heard of any "traditional" prog bands doing anything new in a while. Any recommendations?

It's very possible to be innovative and progressive while sticking to the more well-known definition of prog. No way was I trying to say that in order to be prog you have to be extreme, that would be completely stupid on my part. The original post that I quoted pretty much said that it's impossible to have progressive hardcore and death metal though, which is equally as stupid.

Fair enough. One band that comes to mind right away is Mechanical Poet, their first EP and full length are phenomenal.

The concept is exciting, too bad the three bands chosen to go with DT are such disappointments. Then again, two out of the last three DT albums have been barely listenable, so I guess I don't care too much about them anymore anyways.

Just as long as DT does not keep the same set list for most shows like they did on this past summer's tour. ugh. I'm afraid this tour will be the same way, since it's another tour/festival...and not our loved 'Evening With' shows.

Change it up Mike! You've spoiled me!

Kelly,
I would guess it should happen when they support LP #10. Mike said the guys needed a break from the "Evening With's" which referred to not only last Summer's leg, but the current and future leg's of this tour. I gotta believe it anyway as you're hardly alone in that hope for Evening With's. Altho if they could somehow open for Rush or maybe Metallica...

The concept is exciting, too bad the three bands chosen to go with DT are such disappointments. Then again, two out of the last three DT albums have been barely listenable, so I guess I don't care too much about them anymore anyways.

I don't see it that way. Yes, I will agree the last few DT albums have lacked the traits of what initially roped me into loving that band. I still think they are a worthwhile concert to see. The musicianship alone for me is worth the price of a ticket. It's still better than 90% of the crap that is out on the market now.

Opeth (if you are a fan of their music - which I am) puts on amazing shows. I don't know much about the other bands listed, I do know that 3 was an opener for Porcupine Tree, so to me that says something positive.

I love Opeth and Dream Theater and have seen both numerous times, but the biggest selling point on this tour for me is Between the Buried and Me. I have also heard good things about 3 and can't wait to check them out. Even without Between I would still be going, especially since my wife wants to see Opeth again(she has only seen them once) and my mother-in-law also wants to see Opeth since she has never seen them and loves them.

Well no because the definition of "extreme" isn't limited to death metal. Dillinger Escape Plan and Moonsorrow can both be considered extreme, for instance.

What the other guy said is 100% true. There are some great up and coming bands that borrow from bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X, but the REAL gems these days are bands such as Sigh (but by all means- not a new band), Unexpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Alcest, Between The Buried and Me (who I might add, have completely moved away from being metalcore on their last album which has zero breakdowns and any other hardcore element) etc.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

What hardcore and what death metal band is on this tour? If you think Opeth is death metal you really need to listen to more music... wow.

Well no because the definition of "extreme" isn't limited to death metal. Dillinger Escape Plan and Moonsorrow can both be considered extreme, for instance.

What the other guy said is 100% true. There are some great up and coming bands that borrow from bands like Dream Theater and Symphony X, but the REAL gems these days are bands such as Sigh (but by all means- not a new band), Unexpect, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, Alcest, Between The Buried and Me (who I might add, have completely moved away from being metalcore on their last album which has zero breakdowns and any other hardcore element) etc.

Thank God, somebody else knows about Alcest. I'm not even sure I would call them a metal band anymore, but they kick some serious ass.

I like the idea of this tour, but DT lost me with the "in addition to expensive tickets, you have to buy our new CD to get a decent seat, or VIP package" BS of the last time they came through. I've seen them enough times in the past that I don't care deal with that shit anymore.

I'd much rather pay a little bit more, and go see ProgPower, BarFest, or any other non-ripoff show where I see some quality bands and no BS.