Mike Tramp...go there!!

Karsten

Oct 3, 2002
Visit site
Since you UK folks rarely get to see Saxon up there, here's something you shouldn't miss.

I'm currently following Mike Tramp.Been to three shows so far with another 4 or 5 to go...About two hours of ass kickin' rock 'n roll every night and he's gettin' better every night...Since he has a great back catalogue with songs from his former bands White Lion, Freak of Nature and his three solo albums, the show hasn't a single lowpoint or gives you a moment to lean back and relax..
The entire band is extra nice, gentle and totally unspoiled.They return to the audience every night just minutes after the show with a new t-shirt on and pose for pictures and sign all stuff you want them to.The shows are only 10-15 Euros which makes it an affordable evening as well.

They were totally cool when I approached them before their first german show last week in Ulm and asked them if they were cool with me taping the show.I brought my big rig with mic stand, Neumann mics, preamp, DA converter and several DAT machines and they even took care that I get a place for my stuff and supplied me with power...

Wonderful people, killer show....and they do play the UK within the next few weeks.

MIKE TRAMP
------------
14.10.2003 GB-London The Underworld
15.10.2003 GB-tba
16.10.2003 GB-tba
17.10.2003 GB-Dudley, JB's
18.10.2003 GB-Nottingham, Rock City
19.10.2003 GB-Bradford, Bradford Rio

Go there and check them out...especially since you were again forgotten to be included in the upcoming Saxon /Doro Christmas tour..:loco:

Some changes for the Mike Tramp UK shows....
----------------------------------
14.10.2003 UK-NEWCASTLE, Trillions
15.10.2003 UK-DUDLEY, JB's
16.10.2003 UK-LONDON, The Underworld
17.10.2003 UK-BRADFORD, Rio
18.10.2003 UK-NOTTINGHAM, Rock City

Looks as if Glenn Hughes will join Mike Tramp for the UK shows and Steve Lukather will most definitely at least at the Hamburg show as a "very special guest"..

Paxoman said:
I know absolutely nothing about Mike Tramp, but I might check out the Underworld show. Sounds like it might be a good night.

Well, Mike Tramp was frontman of the band "White Lion" who were really big back in the late 80s and early 90s...They were probably most known for their ballad "When the children cry" and the rocker "Wait"which went up the charts worldwide and were both top 3 billboard songs.

The made some pretty damn good albums, among which "Pride" is probably their best one and (for me) among the very best melodic rock albums of all time.Worth checking out are their other albums as well, especially their debut "Fight to survive" which is a little hard to get on CD these days.

I also like Mikes second band "Freak of Nature" which he founded after he dropped White Lion...and he made three fabulous solo albums after this("Capricorn", "Recovering the wasted years" and most recently "More to life than this")...Check amazon for fabulous reviews of all his work and small bits of every song (30 seconds) for checking out..

Paxoman, check them out..they are definitely worth it, believe me...The best melodic hard rock act you'lll ever get to see and the most down to earth persons you can think of..

I'm really looking forward to the next four nights october 2nd-5th were they do three shows with 100km of my home (Munich, Ingolstadt and Kempten) and another one in Stuttgart.

Enjoy....and if you 've been there and liked what you see, you can contact me for a pair of CDs off my recent Mike Tramp recordings

Karsten

I saw Mike Tramp's Freak of Nature a while ago and they were excellent. A mate of mine put them on in a pub in Plymouth and they suffered with power failures for the start of the night, but after a bodge job by someone it was cleared up!
Because of the problems they chucked a few covers in for good measure. They did great renditions of UFO's Lights Out and Thin Lizzys Holy War.
If they played near me again I'd definately go. Give it a go Pax, you should enjoy it.

Black Lagoon said:
I saw Mike Tramp's Freak of Nature a while ago and they were excellent. A mate of mine put them on in a pub in Plymouth and they suffered with power failures for the start of the night, but after a bodge job by someone it was cleared up!
Because of the problems they chucked a few covers in for good measure. They did great renditions of UFO's Lights Out and Thin Lizzys Holy War.
If they played near me again I'd definately go. Give it a go Pax, you should enjoy it.

Never saw Freak Of Nature, unfortunately...

Last tour they did an excellent cover by Bruce Springsteen ("Born to run"....well, it includes a verse "Tramps like us.."), this time around they do a 17 minute cover of "Rockin' in the free world" at the end of the show which includes parts of "It's a long way to the top if you want Rock n' Roll", "We will rock you" and "The Boys are back in town"....but these inclusions change every night..:)

Folks, check him out...I think I've never enjoyed a rock show more tha this one..and I'm really looking forward to the four nights (and four shows) to come starting today..

Willing to send out two digitally transferred CDRs off my master DATs to everyone that went there, enjoyed the show and promises to not spread it in any way nor make money out of it...

Best,

Karsten

Thanks Karsten and Lagoon. I've heard of White Lion but can't say I've ever heard anything by them.

But the gig sounds great, especially with a 17 minute version of 'Rockin' in the free world', a song I absolutely love!

I will definitely go to the gig, I'll order my ticket today.

Karston - I've just looked on ticketweb and it says that the Mike Tramp gig is on the 14th October, not the 16th. Someone else is playing the Underworld on the 16th. Are you sure the gig has been moved from the 14th to the 16th?

No...Been with Mike to downtown Munich this afternoon (he badly needed to go to some electronic store since he was in need of some stuff(powerextension, velcro tape,..)and talked to him about the confusion on the UK dates...he even claimed they only do like 4 shows although the internet gives me 5 or 6 depending what site I check...can't even guarantee for the dates listed on the official homepage (www.miketramp.com) although they seem to be the most likely ones..

Please check for yourself folks...Dudley, Nottingham and Bradford are the last three just like stated on the official site..

Oh, btw....Mike is reuniting White Lion for next years festival season...

That was actually supposed to be a secret ...so you are the first ones to know..:)

Well, the dates on the homepgae now seem to lead you in the right direction...

14.10.2003 GB-London The Underworld
17.10.2003 GB-Dudley, JB's
18.10.2003 GB-Nottingham, Rock City
19.10.2003 GB-Bradford, Bradford Rio

After having seen (and taped) 6 shows here in Germany I drive down to Switzerland this upcoming weekend for no.7.....not even Saxon could bring me to act like this!

Enjoy the UK shows and when you get to meet them, forward a "Hello guys" from me

Karsten

Karsten said:
After having seen (and taped) 6 shows here in Germany I drive down to Switzerland this upcoming weekend for no.7.....not even Saxon could bring me to act like this!
Karsten

He's not that good!! Good for a night out yeah, but not even in the same league as Saxon.

Well...it's a different music, granted....but he's definitely worth traveling (which I don't consider many bands worth of)..For me he's the most underrated artist I could even think of..

Well, check him out, make up your mind and return here...:)

Well...I'll only make it to three Saxon shows in december (Tutlingen,Pratteln and Innsbruck)...might have done more if the other ones weren't that far away..

Karsten said:
Well...it's a different music, granted....but he's definitely worth traveling (which I don't consider many bands worth of)..For me he's the most underrated artist I could even think of..

Well, check him out, make up your mind and return here...:)

I have seen him before and for me he falls into the category of Very good for a night out, but not worth travelling for.
Still if we all liked the same the world would be a boring place.

Most underated artist for me is Kory Clarke and Warrior Soul.

Well, if he wouldn't be as cool with me taping his shows I'd go to maybe 2 or 3 shows , granted...

But being able to get board access and the "OK" to put up my mic stand with the rest of my equipment makes me travelling to more shows than might be considered "reasonable" by most folks..

I've also seen him last year as well and with the new album he's even stronger than he was..

If you've seen his show you wonder why Tramp plays before and audience of 100-150 persons while this Bon Jovi novice easily fills stadiums....can't be the quality of his material nor the looks (for the girls among us)..

Anyway, enjoy and judge after the show.But I'm also looking forward to seening Saxon in december again, sure thing....Maybe they have a new song or two in the set?