mikes interest in folk

Sep 19, 2005
Belfast
Where does this come from? Being irish im pretty sure we invented folk or atleast had a big hand in it, its very odd for a 'metal' band to be influenced by folk but i see mike sites fairport convention and was wondering, like the soldier of fortune cover has he concidered a sandy denny cover? It'll take a long long time' perhaps? Quite dark lyrical content in that track and as weird as it sounds i personally hear a likeness between mike and sandy's voice. With mike recently stating that isolation years was his most creative/favourite song, i assume his clean vocals in that track is something he is very proud of, so, i think it would make a very interesting version

in scandinavia we also have an old tradition of folk music stretching 1000 years back so maybe it´s a combination of the two

its very odd for a 'metal' band to be influenced by folk

Not really. Take Skyclad for instance. They are called "the inventors of folk metal" and they debuted in the early 90s. In germany that sparked a number of folk/renaissance metal bands like Subway to Sally and In Extremo. Also, there's Blackmore's Night, the folk band of Ritchie Blackmore. Folk influences in metal go back as far as Led Zeppelin.

Not really. Take Skyclad for instance. They are called "the inventors of folk metal" and they debuted in the early 90s. In germany that sparked a number of folk/renaissance metal bands like Subway to Sally and In Extremo. Also, there's Blackmore's Night, the folk band of Ritchie Blackmore. Folk influences in metal go back as far as Led Zeppelin.

True, although i was generalising throughout the metal genre as a whole, the majority site other metal bands as opposed to something as niche as folk.
But yes, Led Zeppelin and the others you mentioned including more recent bands. The main point i suppose that i was making is the old chestnut that opeth have such an original sound and that folk was obvious a major aspect of that, but come on, how cool would a cover of it'll tkae along long time be:headbang:

Mike is also a Simon & Garfunkel fan, and I'd love to see him do something along those lines. Just imagine how cool it would be if Mike collaborated with Paul Simon, the music would be mind blowing.

Maybe Paul Simon in Simon & Garfunkel mode... Otherwise, what do you get? King Diamond on the Soles of Their Shoes?

'There is no need for rules,
There's no one to score the game
And there is no body
Living in this town
As even knows its name.'

Looking through my window
I seem to recognize
All the people passing by
But I am alone
And far from home
And nobody knows me

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm lol!

(waiting to be slated)

Folk music to me is strongly related to what country it's from, it's not one style, it's based on the musical history of that specific country, so no-one really "invented" it I guess.

I was heavily into bands like Steeleye span, Fairport convention, Fotheringay (I love Sandy Denny and "Nothing more" is a great magical song!), Mellow candle, Trees and so forth.

Sweden had some bands who we're influenced by Swedish folklore and music like Kebnekajse, Ragnarök, Turid and so forth. It was also strongly related to the political progg movement music that was big here in the 70´s.

Norway also had an excellent band called Folque.

I can highly recommend any of the above bands but if you want to hear the sounds of the vast Swedish woods you have to get Jan Johansson "Jazz på svenska" album. It's the best album ever to come out of Scandinavia and overall one of the best albums ever worldwide in my opinion. You will thank me for this snippet of info if you don't know the record already.

Cheers
Mike

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6527366 said:
if you want to hear the sounds of the vast Swedish woods you have to get Jan Johansson "Jazz på svenska" album.

Well, thank you very much! For everyone else on this forum you can preview that cd here (or even buy the mp3s). I listened to about 2/3 of the snippets and from first listen I can say I like it. All mellow, a little melancholic, more jazzy here, more folkish there ... and very smooth, very quiet. Yes, definitely worth a listen, at least.

Well, thank you very much! For everyone else on this forum you can preview that cd here (or even buy the mp3s). I listened to about 2/3 of the snippets and from first listen I can say I like it. All mellow, a little melancholic, more jazzy here, more folkish there ... and very smooth, very quiet. Yes, definitely worth a listen, at least.

Cool, more foresty music :)

That Jan Johansson record I checked out before, Mike had it in one of his playlists once I believe. It's real good stuff. However, I can't say I know any of the other things he just mentioned, have to check it out!

Richard Thompson from Fairport Convention is just an amazing guitar player. Saw him live and he just blew me away.