Fairport Convention - Liege and Leaf (1969)

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
conventioncvr.gif

SONG UPLOADS ARE COMING!
  1. "Come All Ye" (Sandy Denny, Ashley Hutchings) - 4:55
  2. "Reynardine" (Trad. arr Fairport) - 4:33
  3. "Matty Groves" (Trad. arr Fairport) - 8:08
  4. "Farewell, Farewell"[8] (Richard Thompson) - 2:38
  5. "The Deserter" (Trad. arr Fairport) - 4:10
  6. Medley (Traditional, arranged by Dave Swarbrick) - 4:00
    1. "The Lark in the Morning"
    2. "Rakish Paddy"
    3. "Fox-Hunter's Jig"
    4. "Toss The Feathers"
  7. "Tam Lin" (Trad. arr Swarbrick) - 7:20
  8. "Crazy Man Michael" (Thompson, Swarbrick) - 4:35
Fairport Convention's fourth album, released in a pivotal year for rock music, has come to be considered as a catalyst for the rapidly increasing popularity of electric folk-rock in Great Britain at the time. This is made up of a few traditional folk songs and several penned by the band themselves. However, I have to say that had I not known this, I'd have thought them all to be hundreds of years old. They have a quality to them that I can't put into words, a timelessness that goes beyond most of the music I've heard in my life.

When I first heard this album (only a few months ago) I wasn't overly impressed. I was just at this time discovering a number of psych/folk bands to which Fairport were contemporaries, and their sound didn't fit with many of these others. It is far less psychedelic/druggy sounding than the Incredible String Band, Forest, Dr. Strangely Strange, Tir Na Nog, Tyrannosaurus Rex, etc.

These songs are beautifully recorded, mixing standard rock instruments with more traditional fare. The highlight for me are the peerless vocals of Sandy Denny, whose subtlety conveys emotion in a way that very few can. Some of the songs are rockier (Tam Lin, Matty Groves) with electric guitar solos and long instrumental breaks, while others (Farewell Farewell, Reynardine, The Deserter) are mellow, soothing and beautiful numbers recounting tales of figures real or imagined (do I know? no way!)

So hopefully a few of you will give this stuff a chance. I could see this becoming one of my absolute favourite albums. It combines musical dexterity and amazing songcraft with tried and true folk songs which have existed for centuries.

I have this and the previous one. Hard to say which I like the most. Simply one of the most talented folk rock band in history with probably the best frontwoman ever in the field.