Drudkh - Songs of Grief and Solitude

If an album is poor, the album is poor, period -- regardless of who made it or what it sounds like. Sorry, but even as filler goes, this is weak.

I wasn't expecting Kveldssanger or Weiland, but I certainly wasn't expecting to hear one dude playing the guitar with one finger on one string, making it up as he went along.

The album is OK... I went into it expecting better, I'll admit, but this album feels really weak overall.

Its not bad, its just not something I'm gonna listen to all the time and praise highly like Blood In Our Wells, The Swan Road, Autumn Aurora, and Forgotten Legends (AKA, the rest of their library :D).

Hopefully the planned 2007 releases, River of Tears and a 7 inch EP which its title escapes me, will be a bit better.

For some reason I dont find this album great or even very good. "okay" would be enough. Somesing is missing. Plus I wouldnt say they've shown real ancient ukrainian sorowful stuff like its supposed to be done. It seems like they are not very worried about producing that kind of shit though.

I share everyone else's opinion, it's just ok. I like track four the best, (the longest track) which allows it to develop more i guess. Anyway like J said, most bands dont pull this kind of stuff off well (ulver, empyrium being exceptions and in their case i think it was because acoustics were such an intergal part of their music). On that note, i believe opeth could have done such an album in their orchid/morningrise days and it would have worked (the acoustics on these cds rule). I'm not counting damnation because it's more prog imo, and by that time they already changed their overall use of acoustics.

^Agreed 100%. An acoustic Opeth album in the Orchid/Morningrise era would have been marvellous.

This new Drudkh is in fact, quite average.

JayKeeley said:
I wasn't expecting Kveldssanger or Weiland, but I certainly wasn't expecting to hear one dude playing the guitar with one finger on one string, making it up as he went along.

If anything worthwhile is to come from this album, it is this post right here.

:lol:

FERLY049CDL.jpg

DRUDKH (Ukr) Estrangement CD - DeLuxe, 2007 (Reference #FERLY049CDL.)
After their Neo-Folk opus, 'Songs of Grief and Solitude', with this latest effort DRUDKH returns to their Black Metal roots, with five long compositions in the epic and melancholic vein of 'Forgotten Legends', although with better sound, organic drums, and brilliant bass playing, in sum displaying the sophistication of 'Blood in Our Wells'. This DeLuxe edition will come in the oversize Super Jewelcase Plus format used in the previous album's own DeLuxe version, with a 16-page illustrated booklet, lyrics both in Ukrainian and in professional English translation, metallic green lettering, special paper, and disc pressed onto green polycarbonate. It will also be limited to 1000 hand-numbered copies, be out at least six weeks before the normal edition, and will be available to Supernal Music customers only. The normal edition, in comparison, will be unlimited and available everywhere, and come in a normal jewelcase, with a 12-page booklet printed on normal stock, lyrics in Ukrainian only, and an ordinary silver disc. If you pre-order now you will be able to take advantage of the lower pre-order price.

http://www.supernalmusic.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Exclusive_Supernal_Music_2807.html