Drudkh--Songs of Grief and Solitude

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I know many on this forum believe Drudkh to be overrated. That being said and to anyone interested, their new acoustic album is out now. It is an album with Ukrainian folk and medieval structure. Supposed to have excellent artwork and cd inlay. I got mine at www.supernalmusic.com. An electric only album will also be released someti:kickass: me in 2007.

I'd hardly say Drudkh are over-rated - that's "melo-death" teenage talk, or the result of someone who doesn't like Black Metal because they're too busy following "prog fashion" metal these days.

Drudkh doesn't reinvent, but they do produce fantastic and highly creative "pure" Black Metal. Every serious metal lover should at least own a copy of The Swan Road imo.

My copy of the new album should arrive next week sometime... looking forward to it :)

Abhorsen - like the avatar mate. Did you buy the compilation?

Awesome, i'm sure i'll be hearing it sometime soon - my mate is a massive Drudkh fan. I have 'Blood In Our Wells' and 'The Swan Road' .. Both very classy albums, but as you said Hubster, it's not really about reinventing, just about producing pure black metal.

Definitely.

The field of Black Metal is generally quite finite anyway, creatively. Mind you, there are a few exceptions to this, e.g. Negură Bunget.

As for Drudkh, and other bands like Tåke, Urgehal, Darkestrah, Xasthur etc etc they may not be reinventing the wheel (actually some of them, including Drudkh are actually reinventing Burzum), but they do what they do exceptionally well, and that definitely earns my dollars for their albums without a second thought...

The Hubster said:
Definitely.

The field of Black Metal is generally quite finite anyway, creatively. Mind you, there are a few exceptions to this, e.g. Negură Bunget.

As for Drudkh, and other bands like Tåke, Urgehal, Darkestrah, Xasthur etc etc they may not be reinventing the wheel (actually some of them, including Drudkh are actually reinventing Burzum), but they do what they do exceptionally well, and that definitely earns my dollars for their albums without a second thought...
Agreed. I;ve been listening to "Oath Bound" by Summoning as of late, and their take on blackmetal is interesting to say the least. Not sure yet as to what rating I would give it. Drudkh is a band who's music has spoken to me in an emotive way. Can't quite put my finger on it. Feels like DeJA VU. Dodheimsgard is another interesting blackmetal band.

THANK YOU!!! Wow, I'm so happy I read this thread. Drudkh are sweet, and I LOVE that type of music. I'm so excited.

The Hubster said:
I'd hardly say Drudkh are over-rated - that's "melo-death" teenage talk, or the result of someone who doesn't like Black Metal because they're too busy following "prog fashion" metal these days.

Drudkh doesn't reinvent, but they do produce fantastic and highly creative "pure" Black Metal. Every serious metal lover should at least own a copy of The Swan Road imo.

My copy of the new album should arrive next week sometime... looking forward to it :)

Abhorsen - like the avatar mate. Did you buy the compilation?

I did! It is also the first time I have changed my avy since I signed on to the board for the first time. Time for a change.

Drudkh is one of my favorite active bands. I'm impressed by their productivity. Blood in Our Wells was outstanding. I was worried after The Swan Road, which was quite a letdown to me. I don't know what to make of this new one. I didn't really like the track at the end of TSR, so if it's like that I probably won't enjoy the album much. Hopefully it's as surprising as BIOW was.

Supernal sucks. So expensive.

The Hubster said:

Most people with any concept of the history of black metal also laugh at the pretensions of Drudkh. They're just not a significant band.

Drudkh is indeed a band for people getting into black metal within the last few years who have no frame of reference, experience or much knowledge and perspective under their belt to realize how typical the band actually is in the scheme of things. so i actually agree with you.