Drudkh--Songs of Grief and Solitude

You'll find that we only disagree when you venture of into the realm of buttseks music for the sake of burnishing your 'open minded' credentials. Other than the fact that I'm smarter, funnier, better looking and more articulate, we really only differ in that I don't have to play Six Degrees of Marillion to feel good about myself.

Well, that and the fact that I'm much more humble.

The Hubster said:
Definitely.

The field of Black Metal is generally quite finite anyway, creatively. Mind you, there are a few exceptions to this, e.g. Negură Bunget.

As for Drudkh, and other bands like Tåke, Urgehal, Darkestrah, Xasthur etc etc they may not be reinventing the wheel (actually some of them, including Drudkh are actually reinventing Burzum), but they do what they do exceptionally well, and that definitely earns my dollars for their albums without a second thought...

100% with you on this.

Listened twice. Way to early to assess. However, it is a peaceful album. Nothing really diverse. No vocals. 36 minutes in length. Got this "flute" thing goin' on that's really cool. Very,very mellow.

My Man Mahmoud said:
You'll find that we only disagree when you venture of into the realm of buttseks music for the sake of burnishing your 'open minded' credentials. Other than the fact that I'm smarter, funnier, better looking and more articulate, we really only differ in that I don't have to play Six Degrees of Marillion to feel good about myself.

Well, that and the fact that I'm much more humble.

lol at you

Well my copy of Songs Of Grief And Solitude arrived today :kickass: pretty happy!

drudkh_songs1.jpg

drudkh_songs2.jpg

Its simple, but effective presentation.

I have to say, despite the physical (ie storage) advantage, I will always prefer to buy and own a physical copy of my music. I love artwork and sleevenotes etc... adds to the experience.

repeated listens have brought a better and deeper appreciation. This band, for me, is very emotive. Those who know Drudkh's work will recognize track 6.

The Cranes Will Never Return Here has to be one of the laziest songs ever. It's one riff repeated over and over again and it was allready on Blood In Our Wells.

Edit: The opening riff on Solitude is the one im talking about.

This disc just didn't do anything for me. The songs just sound plain and uninspired. The only acoustic disc I've really enjoyed this year was Green Carnation's 'Acoustic Verses'.

I hear some very negative reactions to this album around the forums. Considering as I've just recently got Blood in our Wells, I'll hold off on this for a while. I haven't pulled out their older albums in months either.

I'm enjoying this album quite a bit. Giving it the first spin while I type this (track 3).

I haven't listened to many acoustic albums in the past so I don't have much to compare against. But I like what I'm hearing. :)

I need to add, I'm kinda middle of the road about this record, now that I've listened a bunch of times. Not really disappointed, just not real impressed. I think this and Autumn Aurora would make a good companion listen. They seem to compliment one another.