circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Drudkh – Songs of Grief and Solitude
Supernal Music – FERLY045 – October 19, 2006
By Jason Jordan

drudkhsogas.jpg

Like true workhorses, Drudkh have managed to release an album every year since 2003, and while some may think quality suffers at the hands of prolificacy, that’s certainly not the case with this Ukrainian export. As a matter of fact, many listeners consider Blood in Our Wells (2006) their finest effort to date, which is naturally along the lines of The Swan Road (2005), yet stylistically different from earlier records Autumn Aurora (2004) and Forgotten Legends (2003). Drudkh decided to follow the aforementioned successes with an acoustic folk album that has turned out to be the most polarizing entry in their ever-expanding discography. Despite the absence of black metal, Songs of Grief and Solitude is okay, but at the same time, vastly inferior to the band’s previous installments.

Yes, black metal has been left by the wayside this time around, as SoGaS is instrumental folk with only acoustic guitar, flute, and drums – much to the dismay of fans salivating at the thought of a proper follow-up to Blood in Our Wells. Still, though, the seven songs here are nicely done but, it could argued, are also somewhat trite. Even at 35 minutes, Drudkh’s latest is often just too repetitive. Intro ‘Sunset in Carpathians’ is surely the most inconsequential of the bunch, but others like ‘Tears of Gods,’ ‘The Milky Way,’ and ‘Why the Sun Becomes Sad’ eke out a win despite their respective lengthiness. Perhaps most enjoyable, however, is shorter up-tempo tune ‘Archaic Dance,’ though sorrow-drenched ‘The Cranes Will Never Return Here’ and ‘Grey-Haired Steppe’ are no less compelling.

In simplest terms, if you’re a completist, you already own this. If not, Songs of Grief and Solitude should be passed over in favor of one of their BM albums. This is satisfactory for what it is, but it is disappointing when Drudkh fail in their quest to produce music of the utmost brilliance.

Official Supernal Music Website

I disagree. I found this album to be rather superb and extremley expressive despite the lack of vocals. The range of feelings and emotions this release evokes is a testement to the bands skill as musicians.

I must be missing something on SOGS. This just sounds lazy and uninspired to me. There are rare musical segments that are quite beauitful, but not enough to keep me returning. Very dissappointed in this Drudkh release. I was expecting more from these musicians.