Milwaukee 5/21

wankerness

Dec 3, 2002
Seattle
Visit site
I saw the concert in milwaukee last night, which was OK I guess. Beyond the Embrace sounded AWFUL, there was no way to separate the rhythm guitars and the bass, and the lead guitarist couldn't be heard until halfway through the set, where he got way too loud. I could tell that their playing was really tight, but I couldn't discern individual notes at all and the singer sounded like a wad of fuzz, so I didn't like them at all. Lacuna Coil sounded GREAT, though. I was incredibly impressed by how good they were live, and I don't care if they have synth samples in the background. I wished that their set had been A LOT LONGER. The only thing I didn't like about them was their stagewear...the guys wore dresses that looked mortal kombat influenced, and Christina wore some messed up pirate shirt with huge cuffs and long shorts with high black socks...not impressive! Haha, I don't really care what bands wear, it was just distracting for the first few minutes. The sound, though, was really great, and there were no mistakes or anything. Christina sounded really really good, as always, and Fernando or whatever his name is actually sang in tune for a change! He kept saying things like "let's light this place up" in between songs which was mildly humorous. A big chorus of guys were yelling "Faggot twat" at him for a little bit, if I remember correctly...it was a recurring theme throughout the night, I think they chanted it at all the tech guys, and at random times when nothing was happening. I think that all the songs they played were off of Unleashed Memories and Comalies, but I think maybe there was one song I didn't recognize. Anyway, it was all worth it to see Christina up close...*dies*
Opeth played really really well, but their sound was really pretty bad. It was really hard to tell what the guitarists were doing on half the songs, especially when both were playing distorted riffs (well, with the exception of Advent and the Drapery Falls). I forget the setlist exactly, it was something like this:
The Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls
Creedence
Godhead's Lament
A Fair Judgement
Demon of the Fall
There wasn't much in the way of moshing...I was about two people back from the stage the entire show and only got pushed around a little bit. All of the moshing that was in front (or to my side) was instigated by some crazy little guy that looked like Luc from Gorguts, he made things fun. What moshing there was mostly happened on The Leper Affinity and the beginning of Demon of the Fall. Exciting stuff! There were a bunch of moron teenagers that started chanting "Opeth! Opeth!" during the acoustic sections, but fortunately most of the people I was by were actually fans and were smart enough to not join in, and most of the chants died out pretty quick. And the band took a REALLY long time to come out for the encore, people had actually given up and started leaving by the time they came out, and the cheering had gone down. You'd think they'd time things better, but I guess not! Yeah, the singer talked to the audience a lot, but I could never understand anything...the mic made it sound like everything he said was being spoken along with by numerous members of the audience (this effect was most annoying during every section of death growls), and they did a lot of "teasers" (like they started up just about every song on Damnation, and then at the end for the encore they started Blackwater Park after detuning the guitars) which got a big reaction. I liked their performance, it's just their sound was so bad I was almost more impressed by Lacuna Coil. Does anyone know Lacuna Coil's exact setlist? I know that they played "To Live is to Hide" first and "Senzafine" fourth, but I'm not real clear on the names of those comalies songs (and I forgot the name of that other song off of Unleashed Memories!). Also, if I screwed up Opeth's setlist (I know I have the middle wrong) someone should tell me that too!

wankerness said:
I saw the concert in milwaukee last night, which was OK I guess. Beyond the Embrace sounded AWFUL, there was no way to separate the rhythm guitars and the bass, and the lead guitarist couldn't be heard until halfway through the set, where he got way too loud. I could tell that their playing was really tight, but I couldn't discern individual notes at all and the singer sounded like a wad of fuzz, so I didn't like them at all. Lacuna Coil sounded GREAT, though. I was incredibly impressed by how good they were live, and I don't care if they have synth samples in the background. I wished that their set had been A LOT LONGER. The only thing I didn't like about them was their stagewear...the guys wore dresses that looked mortal kombat influenced, and Christina wore some messed up pirate shirt with huge cuffs and long shorts with high black socks...not impressive! Haha, I don't really care what bands wear, it was just distracting for the first few minutes. The sound, though, was really great, and there were no mistakes or anything. Christina sounded really really good, as always, and Fernando or whatever his name is actually sang in tune for a change! He kept saying things like "let's light this place up" in between songs which was mildly humorous. A big chorus of guys were yelling "Faggot twat" at him for a little bit, if I remember correctly...it was a recurring theme throughout the night, I think they chanted it at all the tech guys, and at random times when nothing was happening. I think that all the songs they played were off of Unleashed Memories and Comalies, but I think maybe there was one song I didn't recognize. Anyway, it was all worth it to see Christina up close...*dies*
Opeth played really really well, but their sound was really pretty bad. It was really hard to tell what the guitarists were doing on half the songs, especially when both were playing distorted riffs (well, with the exception of Advent and the Drapery Falls). I forget the setlist exactly, it was something like this:
The Leper Affinity
Advent
Deliverance
The Drapery Falls
Creedence
Godhead's Lament
A Fair Judgement
Demon of the Fall
There wasn't much in the way of moshing...I was about two people back from the stage the entire show and only got pushed around a little bit. All of the moshing that was in front (or to my side) was instigated by some crazy little guy that looked like Luc from Gorguts, he made things fun. What moshing there was mostly happened on The Leper Affinity and the beginning of Demon of the Fall. Exciting stuff! There were a bunch of moron teenagers that started chanting "Opeth! Opeth!" during the acoustic sections, but fortunately most of the people I was by were actually fans and were smart enough to not join in, and most of the chants died out pretty quick. And the band took a REALLY long time to come out for the encore, people had actually given up and started leaving by the time they came out, and the cheering had gone down. You'd think they'd time things better, but I guess not! Yeah, the singer talked to the audience a lot, but I could never understand anything...the mic made it sound like everything he said was being spoken along with by numerous members of the audience (this effect was most annoying during every section of death growls), and they did a lot of "teasers" (like they started up just about every song on Damnation, and then at the end for the encore they started Blackwater Park after detuning the guitars) which got a big reaction. I liked their performance, it's just their sound was so bad I was almost more impressed by Lacuna Coil. Does anyone know Lacuna Coil's exact setlist? I know that they played "To Live is to Hide" first and "Senzafine" fourth, but I'm not real clear on the names of those comalies songs (and I forgot the name of that other song off of Unleashed Memories!). Also, if I screwed up Opeth's setlist (I know I have the middle wrong) someone should tell me that too!

great fucking show I came up from chicago to see em. Those guys were actually yelling "maggot twat" some stupid gay band. Oh and if you heard anyone telling those guys to shut the fuck up it was probably me. It was pissing me off that they kept screaming during the softer sections, and it was quite annoying. I was right up front and to the left. I'll post some pics soon. I got my morningrise cd signed and got pics with mikael and peter.

I'm in the middle

meandmike2.jpg

I agree that the sound for Opeth was garbage esp. during the distorted parts. During the clean parts it was right on, otherwise it was mush. You can blame some of that on the Rave- it is notorious for making bands sound like shit.

Their setlist I was hoping would have more off of BWP, but oh well. I liked when they started to play little bits from the Damnation tunes..it seemed to get the crowd exited and then Michael would just laugh and stop.

As far as his talking he seemed very sincere when thanking everyone for coming out- he said Milwaukee holds a special place in their careers because it was here that they played thier first US show. He seemed very happy- smiling in between every song. The turnout was much better than I expected.

I thought Lacuna was awesome I wish they would've played longer. Christina was fun to watch with her hair swirling/banging dance. Plus her voice was sweet. I would go see them again if they came around the area, definately worth it. The band members seemed to be from the Korn school of "how to move like a rock star" they had the same moves, pretty entertaining.

I was also impressed with the choice of music between the bands- Queensryche- one of my faves and very suprise to hear it b4 Opeth and Lacuna for that matter. I wonder if that was by choice of the bands or the Rave....

Either way you slice it, Opeth musically speaking full on bring it, my only complaints would be the setlist and the fact that the heavy parts sounded too much like mush.

Yeah I noticed the clean sounds were great, especially during Advent........As far as LC I thought they were really boring, too nu metal for me. I found BTE to be better even though there was too much bass, their singer sucked, and one could barely hear the guitarists. I don't see what is so great about LC.....

You got to hear Queensryche? You lucky bastards. In Buffalo we were treated to Godsmack and AC/DC's "High Voltage" album! *pukes*

dreamingneonblack said:
I agree that the sound for Opeth was garbage esp. during the distorted parts. During the clean parts it was right on, otherwise it was mush. You can blame some of that on the Rave- it is notorious for making bands sound like shit.

Hm, maybe my ears are failing, but I didn't have much of a problem with the guitars regardless of whether distortion was used. Where were you standing? For the most part, I was dead center behind the pit, but I can totally see people up front getting a mishmash from the house PA in addition to the stage monitors, guitar cabs, etc. Having a lot of people between yourself and the speakers does wonders for killing ear-splitting treble.

I really, really need to look into getting some of these:
http://www.sensaphonics.com/er91525.html

I came all the way from Appleton up by Green Bay (nearly 2 hours) and thought it was worth it.

I thought it was a good show. Though, all through Lacuna Coil some vampiric looking weiner was yelling "Evanescence owns you!" and similar shit. I thought Christina's outfit was unique, so not too bad. Their setlist was pretty good, though I've forgotten it. Their voices were nice and strong, everything was pretty flawless.

Beyond the Embrace sucked, I must say. Though, I enjoyed the setup about SARS for the song about killing yourself. Every now and then some rythm shone through and I enjoyed it, but it was quickly drown out by some obnoxiously loud crashing or something.

Opeth was good, I really liked that they started with The Leper Affinity. Immediately a pit broke out right next to me and I got shoved a few times. It didn't get too huge, probably because of all the women that came for Lacuna Coil. There was some nice moshing at times. The chants occured too often, luckily some drunk fucker in the pit had the courage to scream "SHUT THE FUCK UP!," which seemingly worked a couple times. They played what I was expecting to hear, so it all worked out well.

I only wish I was the guy who thought of giving them the flower... he got a pick in return! Lucky bastard.

Best part: second hand reefer.
Worst part: I sat in some dried up vomit waiting for my ride to come out afterwards.