Missing nuance? (Ensiferum)

Redoubt9000

Oct 21, 2011
I'm revisiting a very short cover that I made a while back and kept around just so that I could go back and practice on my mixing chops again.

Maybe it's the curse of experience and ITB/sims - but there's seems to be an overall lack in "power" ? Liveliness, or I guess because I've yet to begin praying to the analogue gods I spose :p

I AM curious to know if this rather "sterile" sound is a common symptom of handling it all in digital (my subpar knowledge in mixing aside). Not that I care to shift all the blame onto such a reason, but it does linger in the back of my head...

I attached a mix if you would not mind giving a listen :)
I've also attached stems of the mix if you wish to investigate further, they're not dry tracks or anything, just the different elements of the mix before they're summed. (pretty large tho!!! so only if you're really curious :p )

For your listen! :)

Tweaked the Drums a bit further, and changed the mix around a bit

Stems

I just wanna know if I'm on the right track with things, perhaps lend your own opinions of how things are melding together, or of what you think is glaring or obvious OR missing! That's the biggest thing, I feel like my mixes are missing something vital. I don't believe it's any one thing tho

Last edited by a moderator: