Mix advice: Heavy Rock with Electronic influence. Not shitty industrial.

DCD

New Metal Member
Feb 5, 2012
Hi guys, I rarely post on here but lurk all the time (Learned a lot)...

Im hoping to get some critique on my mix, this is one track from a 14 track album ive been working on. I initially started it a couple of years ago but have had a lot of shit going on since then, and no longer have my studio...im trying to finish it off on DT990 pros and its driving me crazy not being able to push some air around.

Im going for a mix of heavy rock (think randy staub etc) with a strong influence from electronic producers such as noisia, billain...granted the music is much more rock than electronic, it didnt really start that way, but i guess you never quite know how a song is going to morph over time.

Everything you hear is software with the exception of the vocals (recorded with an sm58) and the guitars (all amp sims). The drums were recorded with an e-kit and i used a combo of slate drums/samples/synthesized kicks/snares/lots of layers. This is the first time ive tried to get an acoustic/room kit sound with my music so it was quite a learning process and its hard to combine this (and guitars) with synths.

Anyway...any and all suggestions would be extremely welcome..Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh2kgvxqvfa386y/10. Senseless 20160821 Final Mix 2.wav?dl=0

That's a pretty cool song. I'd be interested to hear the album.

The most glaring issue with the mix is that it sounds too boxy. I'd either cut some low mids to balance that bass, or use an exciter. The drums don't really sound "acoustic", but I don't think they should anyway, in this genre. Otherwise, good work.

Thanks for that :) Any specific frequencies jumping out at you as far as boxiness? I think there is a build up around 200hz, and I've been hesitant so far to make any large cuts over the mix as a whole, as I've been trying to keep that under control with each element, but i figure there has been a cumulative effect regardless.

Ill put up some more tracks as i get them finessed a bit more ;)